Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahsmile417 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Rape victim to be dismissed from school
    A friend of mine was raped at college. She obviously did not do well that semester. Due to her grades, the university said she was academically dismissed. She appealed the dismissal and explain what had happened. They allowed her to return but on academic probation. The next semester she did significantly better than the prior semester but did not meet the GPA she needed in order to stay (by a very small margin), obviously still suffering from the trauma of being raped. They are trying to academically dismiss her again. She is AGAIN appealing it, but if they do not approve her appeal, does she have the right to sue the school?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Sue on what grounds? There are academic requirements for staying in college. Granted, I can understand her trauma from being raped. Did she ever go for counseling? Ever report this to the school authorities or police? Ever press charges? Or did she try to bury it all and act like it did not happen? So while she still may be suffering painful effects of this rape and she could well do with some rape counseling, she does also have a minimal standard of grade performance to maintain.

I see both sides here. She could always talk to an attorney about this. She should be getting professional counseling. ASAP.
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Feb 1, 2008, 07:11 AM
    shygrneyzs is right... I work at a school and if someone has something happen they need to come speak to us ASAP. Rape is sadly something a lot of people try to hide and that only hurts them in the long run. The school also has to keep their rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Victim of cyberbullying [ 41 Answers ]

What's everyone opinion on online cyberharrasment,cyberstalking and cyber bulling.I was a victim of cyberharrasment,bullying and stalking on 2 site loveshack and enotalone because I was a virgin and spoke about it. The moderator did nothing to my cyberharrassor but I was victimize . I even...

Cancer victim [ 2 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with mouth cancer. Will Ambrotose help this condition?

Victim or paranoid [ 5 Answers ]

I have been married for a couple of years and have always had to deal with this friend of my husbands. I don't have a problem with friends of the opposite sex, quite honestly I prefer male friends myself. Thing is though, I don't hang out with my male friends anymore. We got married and I moved to...

Please help. I am a victim of fraud [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem. I found out that a fraudalent petition for my wife's immigrant visa was signed in my name. I gave no consent for the submission of the petition. My signature was forged. My wife and I were married April 1999. We separated December 2000. Ever since the separation we...

Victim of circumstances =( [ 2 Answers ]

I really can use some good advises here... I got a ticket for traffic violation on late November last yr. it was basically moving violation... I was only trying to avoid collision with two cars racing on freeway onlamp by beliefly entering the carpool lane. But with my luck, uniform had to be...

View more questions Search