Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Jan 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Putting laminate on stairs
    My fiancé and I want to put laminate flooring in our condo. We have an upstairs unit. Right now there is carpet on the stairs, landing, and it runs into the living room. We would like to put laminate flooring in the kitchen (which has vinyl flooring right now), living room, landing, and stairs.

What would be the best way to do the stairs? How do you secure them?

Or does anyone else have any ideas about what to do with the stairs? I do NOT want carpet anymore.

Thanks

Michelle
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Check in the aisle where you buy your laminate. There is a special bull nose board made for stair installation. Beware, many laminate flooring materials sound pretty clacky on stairs, I'd glue them down.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 10, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Id advise to not use laminate for stairs, its not what they were designed for,
    If you want wood steps, then just pull the carpet off the steps, the steps are most likely pine treads you may be able to paint or stain them, if not just go buy new step treads in oak or pine, another reason to not use laminate is because they are slick and you can slip down those stairs. Good luck
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 10, 2008, 08:20 PM
    I agree with glavine on this one I don't like laminate for stairs and I don't care how many manufacturers say it is great. If you want a longer lasting set of steps replace the treads with oak or pine I prefer oak but it can be a little pricey pine works too but tends to wear faster. If you do decide to use laminate you definitely need to glue it. Either way good luck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 08:45 PM
    The laminate would probably give you the longest wear, way longer than pine but it still is not my choice for stairs. I do not like the noise and laminates can be very slippery with the slightest amount of moisture on your shoes. I don't want to buy one of those "I have fallen and can't get up" things for around my neck.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Hand trucks will probably do a number on the steps with the recommended laminate moulding. It's OK for one or two, but I would not do a whole flight of stairs.

Metal moulding is OK.

Jan 11, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone.

I was wondering about how slippery laminate would be on the stairs too.

I'm not sure exactly what we are going to do yet. We were planning on putting ceramic tile in the entry way by the doors (front door and garage door). I figured that would be best since water and snow get tracked in. I'm not sure how well it would look though going from tile, to wood on the stairs, to laminate on the top landing (especially since we were thinking about using a lighter bamboo laminate). I don't think I would want to tile the entire stairs though either.

I'll post some pictures of what I'm dealing with later tonight. Then you can get an idea of the layout.

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
    A stone mud area looks really nice.

Jan 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Ok - here are some pictures of the stairs.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Flooring - Stairs [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I am trying to use leftovers from my living room and do the laminate stairs. The only thing that I have a problem with are the edges. The only thing that I found available is the aluminum stair edges but the look way too ugly. Also my laminate has underlyer glued to it already so if I...

Laminate floors and stairs [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that...

Installing laminate flooring on stairs-overhang not tall enough [ 2 Answers ]

When attempting to install laminate flooring on our stairs, my husband and I have found that the stair bull nose dose not completely cover the underlying stair. The step is 3/4'” while the bull nose is 3/8”, leaving 3/8” showing. One person suggested that we cut down the part of the step that is...

Laminate Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have wooden stairs and I am replacing the carpet in my home with laminate and in some rooms hardwood. Can I use the leftover laminate on my stairs? If not, how hard is it to replace the carpet on my stairs with tile? I saw tile steps before but I am not sure if it was ceramic or...

Leaky Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

In my house the basement was originally a cellar. The owners before me extended the house over the stairs. When it rains ground water seaps in through my stairs(The stairs are the original concrete stairs). Any ideas on a quick fix?

View more questions Search