Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ovexi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Loud bang in the basement after flushing the toilet
    After I flush the toilet and the water went down the drain, a few moments later I hear a loud banging noise from the basement. I did some reading and it is suggested that I may have a water hammer. However the water hammer is normally associated with a closing valve which is not the case here. The toilet valve closes after the tank is full. I am thinking that it may be related to the drainage pipe rather that the water supply pipe.
    Thank you for any help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 02:15 PM
    So you are saying that you are 100% sure the bang does not coincide with the fill valve stopping the supply to the tank, right? There is a chance that your drain pipe is lossely supported and the waste water slams into a 90 turn causing a bang but I think that would happen before the fill valve shuts off. Can you give us a time line in sceonds from the flush to the bang to the fill valve closing?

Jan 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
    It's probably 1 second since the tank water went down the drain and the bang noise happens. I hear the bang before the valve shuts off so it is not likely water hammer.
    And what makes the diagnose even harder is that the basement is finished so I have no access to the drain pipe unless I break the wall.

Jan 9, 2008, 09:30 AM
    It does sound like the waste water is slamming into a turn in the drain but you are stuck without being able to get into the wall. Maybe someone else will jump in with additional thoughts.

Jan 9, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    It does sound like the waste water is slamming into a turn in the drain but you are stuck without being able to get into the wall. Maybe someone else will jump in with additional thoughts.
    Yes, that is my feeling too. The question is how long can I live with this? Do I need an emergency repair? Am I going to get a flood soon?

Jan 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
    If it is what I picture it isn't likely to cause a leak. Will you get used to it, probably not because you are always going to want to get to that fix it part of the problem.

Jan 9, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    If it is what I picture it isn't likely to cause a leak. Will you get used to it, probably not because you are always going to want to get to that fix it part of the problem.
    Thank you bellengerb1. I really appreciate your help. However, what does seem to be the problem? Why I developed this noise?

Jan 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
    It is possible that the pipe hangers that held the drain pipe have loosened over time. That could allow the pipe to move evn just 1/8" enough to make a thump againist the floor joists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Squeal When Flushing Toilet [ 4 Answers ]

When we flush our downstairs toilet, there is a loud "squeal" like a siren that sounds as the water is replenished into the tank. Any ideas what this might be and how I can fix it?

Loud rumbling noise in floor when flushing the toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have two bathrooms side by side on the top floor and one downstairs on the main floor. When flushing the toilet in one of the bathrooms on the top floor, you hear and feel a loud rumble in the floor in the bathroom beside it. We replaced the toilet in the downstairs bathroom a few...

Loud sound when flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I get this loud humming sound when I flush my toilet for a minute or less, what could it be?

Loud moaning sound in pipes after flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I flush my toilet there is a very loud moaning, like a tuba sound, that comes from the pipes. It can make this sound for quite awhile after the toilet has finished flushing and has become filled. It is so loud it rattles the wall. What can I do to stop this?

Loud noise when flushing toilet [ 1 Answers ]

There is a loud noise when I flush my toilet. I have learned that turning on the bath water causes the loud noise to not occur, or to stop mid noise. The noise seems to getting louder and longer with time. I appreciate any assistance troubleshooting this problem.

View more questions Search