Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Iranian harassment
    Is the "reported" harassment by the Iranian navy going to lead to military action from the U.S.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Naw... The Saudis and Egyptians had been the prime movers in anti-Iranian and anti-Shiite agitation. When they are inviting Ahmadinejad and Mr. Larijani to their capitals, America's talk of isolating Iran sounds like a thing of the past. Ahmadinejad has been kissing-up, so no, nothings going to happen.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 04:16 AM
    No , this is a game that hostile nations play with each other all the time. The last time an incident happened from these games of chicken was early in 2001 when Chinese jet pilot Wang Wei collided with an American Navy EP-3E signals reconnaissance aircraft . That created some tensions . Wei was killed and the American plane landed on Chinese Hainan Island .

I am sure the US Navy has tested the Iranian defense response also .
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jan 9, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Probably not. It may, however, lead to an increased US naval presence in the Straits of Hormuz.

If it had been me in charge over there, I would have called for a live-fire test of my ship's weapons systems as the Iranians were pulling their little stunt. A couple of shots fired directly over the heads of the Iranians on those boats would have made them think twice about pulling a stunt like that again.

But then again, maybe that's why nobody has put me in command of a US navy ship or battle-group.

Elliot
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
    It was a shame they didn't test the R2D2 to make sure it was in proper working order. I saw a demonstration of the thing on a dependent cruise and what a sound that thing makes. (It's a big machine gun that looks like our friend from Star Wars - have no idea what it is really called.)
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jan 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Tom,

Yeah, I saw it. And he was dead-on. Every time the US military reacts in a way that can be seen as "backing down", it creates an increase in hubris in our enemies, which in turn eventually leads to an attack of some kind. Peters was right when he said that the naval commander's response will probably cost American lives in the long term.

That's why I would have taken the action I described above... a show of strength, rather than backing down.

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harassment [ 6 Answers ]

I found out that my spouse is having an affair with a coworker. I sent him him an email in which I outlined my knowledge and what my expectations were. Although the language was not pretty, it was also not physically threatening but did have itemized divorce requirements. He forwarded these to his...

Sexual harassment [ 11 Answers ]

I was recently involved in a sexual harassment case. Both partys involved are close to me. The girl and guy names I will be choosing to use will be changed to protect them. Heather= Girl Cary= Guy I was just relieved on my break and left Heather talking to Cary. I was gone for a good half...

Workplace harassment [ 1 Answers ]

How is it that my mother can come home from work in tears because her team manager has absolutely ripped shreds off her over the most trivial of things? She has been documenting each time this has happened. Her boss yells at her and humiliates her in front of her co-workers. There appears to be no...

Iranian intervention in Iraq [ 6 Answers ]

An excellent short history of Iranian intervention against Operation iraqi Freedom ,the coalition forces ,and the new Iraqi government has been authored by Kimberly Kagans at Weekly Standard . http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/IraqReport06.2.pdf She accurately illustrates how Iran...

Iranian Muslims [ 10 Answers ]

These Iranian Muslims tell us that their savior fell down a well many, many years ago. They say that to allow their savior to come up out of the well, they must kill all of us infidels, or at least start the apocalypse. OK, fine, but, the thought occurred to me that GOD cast Satan and his demons...

View more questions Search