Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2006, 09:52 PM
    My election day wedding!
    My fiancé Alex and I JUST decided tonight when our shotgun wedding (just kidding!) will be... January 23, which also happens to be the day of the Canadian Federal Election. When we were discussing dates, Alex jokingly mentioned election day, and I laughed, but then we thought why not? We want to get married this month, and it would sure be a good conversation starter. Plus we are just having a small wedding at my house, with my friend's dad (who is a rabbi) officiating. We are both non-religious Jews and our rabbi friend is very liberal about that sort of thing so it's perfect.

We're going to invite a few friends over, and they don't need to bring gifts or anything... in fact, the only requirement will be that they have to VOTE to attend haha. So, they will need to get their "I voted" sticker from the ballot office and be wearing it when they come to the door, or else no admittance! We'll have dinner, and then watch the election results.

So are we crazy or what?? Anyway I'm excited. :)
    TrueLoveKnowsNoBoundries Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 11:26 PM
    :d
    Well congrads I'm happy for you. I can't wait for my wedding. We don't know for sure yet when but thank you for your help. I wish you a long and happy marriage.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Thanks very much, I wish you well too! :)

Oh and thanks for the comment Fred!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Congratulations on your wedding Orange.

And remember, there is always advanced pollings! (Jan 13, 14 and 16)
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Yup, my fiancé and I are voting in advance, but we're not going to make our friends do it unless they want to! ;) Thanks for your wishes!
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 3, 2006, 09:31 PM
    Congratulations on picking a date, Orange! Sounds like its going to be lots of fun! And the election should be interesting... I'll be watching too! Does CBC air "This hour has 22 minutes" in Saskatchewan? And are you wearing a dress?
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Thanks Mrs. Pennell!

Yes we have This Hour Has 22 Minutes... are they having a special that night?

And yes I'm wearing my biological mother's wedding dress... amazing that I still have it. It's one of the few things I have of her, and luckily we are about the same size :)

Jan 3, 2006, 10:02 PM
    The website for this hour has 22 minutes says that they are returning to air on Friday, Jan 6. I tried to figure out if there will be an election special but it doesn't say. I hope there will be though!

I think it is very special that you have your biological mom's wedding dress. I'm sure it will be a great day. I think I am making my own wedding dress. Any idea where I might find some nice patterns? I looked around here (Newfoundland, small city) but of course I couldn't find anything.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 08:29 PM
    What kind of pattern are you looking for? I mean, for what kind of wedding dress? Modern? Vintage? I might be able to recommend something if I had an idea of what you were looking for. I love sewing. My mother's wedding dress is 70s vintage... I'll see if I can get a good picture of it to post here sometime!

Jan 4, 2006, 08:41 PM
    I'd love to see a picture of your dress! I was thinking modern strapless without a big train for my dress.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Err, the countdown begins... it's now only 12 more sleeps until I'm a married woman! Yikes! :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Err, the countdown begins... it's now only 12 more sleeps til I'm a married woman! Yikes!! :D
    Lol. And also only 12 more sleeps until we have a Tory government in Ottawa. :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Yup... a big change for me AND for the country! :D And hopefully a good change for both. :)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Congrats on your wedding. That sounds like a unique, very interesting way of getting others to vote. It is very important. Just like the commitement that you and your fiancé are going into. Unique, very good.

Like your ideas. I know repeated myself several times.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 01:17 PM
    Thanks Joe! Yeah our friends all know our position on voting, no matter what party you vote for! So it's no cake and coffee for you if you don't vote first, LOL. Actually I don't think we'll literally turn someone away if they haven't voted, but we would bug them a whole lot!
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Jan 11, 2006, 06:32 PM
    My husband and I got married the day after election day in 2004 here in the states. The actual day of the election, I didn't even think about it. I had already turned in my absentee ballot, and I was crazed trying to get my wedding together. I was living in GA and I flew to Idaho to get married two days before the wedding. It was nuts. I made my wedding dress (with the help of my brother's master seamstress mother in law). I don't know what kind of fabric stores you guys have up in Canada, but I think I hit up a Joann's while they were having a big sale on their patterns. I had to make a few alterations to the pattern, but I loved how it came out.
    Congratulations on your wedding, Orange! I'm sure you'll be a beautiful bride. All brides are the most beautiful on their wedding day, you know. You couldn't have beat the smile off my face on my day if you'd wanted to. Good luck to you both!

-B
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Thanks Joe! Yeah our friends all know our position on voting, no matter what party you vote for! So it's no cake and coffee for you if you don't vote first, LOL. Actually I don't think we'll literally turn someone away if they haven't voted, but we would bug them a whole lot!
    Orange, you mentioned that when you vote in SK, they give you a "I voted pin". Is that true?

Ontario doesn't give out any pins and I vote :( I think I should come to SK for the pin :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Actually not a pin, but a sticker, and also a fridge magnet if you want it LOL. At least they had that at the last election. I'll save you one if you want. ;)
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Well just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm "officially" getting ready for the wedding now, so I won't be online much. Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread... I hope I remembered to comment on everything! I'll probably check back here off and on, but I'm really busy, and we might be going on a short honeymoon right afterwards too! Haven't decided if or where yet. Anyway thanks guys! :)
    beth10 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 06:34 PM
    Congradulation I think a small wedding is great. Igot married a little over ayear ago I went crazy the week before but it turned out well. I would never do it again though.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

About the wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting merried on Saturday and I am trying to find some good songs that can be played at the reception. Is there anyone out there that can give me any names of songs. It can be any song. The group that is going to be there is a mix of young and old as me and the sonn to be are only 26, but on...

Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

I fiancé and I are planning our wedding which started to be a large affair.. However, with everyone’s lack of interest I would just rather elope. My family lives 3000 miles away and I’ve tried communicating by phone with what needs to be done but it just ends up in an argument. My mother is not as...

2006 Election website [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a website that has the issues that will be on the state ballots(Michigan for me) thanks in advanced for any help.

Wedding help [ 10 Answers ]

Hello! Could use some advice... we live in a rural area where it seems to be custom to asking neighbors (invited as guests) to help clean up the bride/groom's table, doing dishes, setting out food on buffet arranged tables, etc. My husband and I always argue every time I get one of these invites...

Nj s election [ 1 Answers ]

Is there relief for filing s election late. The IRS provides relief if the s election is late?

View more questions Search