Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WOODYAA Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Catholic Myths
    Good Morning,
    I am currently in a religion class and need some advice from experts on the Catholic religion. I figured who better to go to than a Catholic leader or advisor. My topic is Catholic myths and the truth about those myths. I have many friends from many different religions so I am not here to judge anyone on their faith nor do I wish to be judged on mine.

I need some references and good sites that might cover some common myths of the Catholic Religion and the truth about the myths. I do not personally know what myths there are about Catholics, so I am unsure where to start. Any advice?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Here are a few:
    Catholic Truths: Ecumenical Apologetics Shorts

And here is a good online library of items that are often misunderstood: Catholic Answers: Catholic Apologetics (it's the Library section in blue at the upper left)

PS - See here too: Top misconceptions Non-Catholic Christians have of Catholics - Catholic Answers Forums
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 08:03 AM
    I enrolled for a class on 19th century intellectual history, once upon a time. The professor introduced himself as a Marxist with tenure; he allowed as how he was going to disprove the myths about Abraham Lincoln. I guess I am simple-minded: why disprove a myth? So I dropped that class. To me, your post is very similar: it's like, let's examine the path a cat takes while chasing its tail. My question for you is, why bother?

Jan 7, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Here are a few:
    Catholic Truths: Ecumenical Apologetics Shorts

And here is a good online library of items that are often misunderstood: Catholic Answers: Catholic Apologetics (it's the Library section in blue at the upper left)

PS - See here too: Top misconceptions Non-Catholic Christians have of Catholics - Catholic Answers Forums

Thank you Sir for the links. This is exactly what I needed.

Jan 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    I enrolled for a class on 19th century intellectual history, once upon a time. The professor introduced himself as a Marxist with tenure; he allowed as how he was going to disprove the myths about Abraham Lincoln. I guess I am simple-minded: why disprove a myth? So I dropped that class. To me, your post is very similar: it's like, let's examine the path a cat takes while chasing its tail. My question for you is, why bother?

Thank you for your opinion. My class is a little different than what you have described above. The class is set up to study three major religions within our world today and give us a basic understanding of what the different religions believe and some of the misconceptions of each religion. The class is not to prove or disprove myth from truth. The reason for the class is to have a better understanding of the different cultures and their belief systems and the reason I am taking the calss is because it is my choice to do so. Thanks.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Hi Woody: I am wishing much success to you in the class.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
    I would say you would be better asking about teaching then myth, I am a beleiveer that there are no myths, merely teachigns and truth.

So if you want myths, sorry there are none, if you wish to learn about the churches teachings, then perhaps asking nicer will get you a better resonse
    Rick was nicer about it, I get offended when people call my beleifs myths.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Catholic Myths... I was raised Catholic and never heard of a myth. Now others may not agree with the Catholic Church and teachings - those people will call a teaching/belief a myth.

I have a problem with a professor that is already giving you the presumption that there are Catholic Myths.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 05:54 PM
    I read that he chose "Catholic Myths" for a topic.

"Catholics worship Mary" is a perfect example, as I understood the question, of a Catholic Myth.

... did I read the question right, Woody?
    AnnieMac713 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Very unsure what a catholic myth is. Just maybe its your soul trying to reach you.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Jan 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Here are a couple of sites that I frequent.

www.scripturecatholic.com
    NEW ADVENT: Home
    Vatican: the Holy See

I read that he chose "Catholic Myths" for a topic.

"Catholics worship Mary" is a perfect example, as I understood the question, of a Catholic Myth.

...did I read the question right, Woody?

Yes Sir,
    I believe you are the only one who actually read and understood what I am trying to do with the exception of a couple of others. Your information and the few others who answered have helped.

I do have a one more question maybe you can help me with. I am a new user to this site and I am wondering, is it always so hostile when you are trying to get help? I don't find some of the answers I have received to be very nice. People seem to make some very "off" assumptions and don't seem to be reading before they are responding?

Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Hi Woody: I am wishing much success to you in the class.

Thank you Sir,
    I think I am going to need it. Everyone seems so hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I would say you would be better asking about teaching then myth, I am a beleiveer that there are no myths, merley teachigns and truth.

So if you want myths, sorry there are none, if you wish to learn about the churches teachings, then perhaps asking nicer will get you a better resonse
    Rick was nicer about it, I get offended when people call my beleifs myths.
    I appriciate your opinion Sir.
    I appologise for using the term myth. But I was only wording it the way it was given to me. To better explain why we used the word myth in the class (I would personally have chosen "misconceptions" or another word but it is not my class to teach)... we are trying to cover what are common misconceptions about different religions. Let me try and explain as I am still new to this and still learning more everyday.

For example, so far I have found information that SOME non Catholics have thought that Catholics pray and worship Mary, I personally did not think this as I know better, but the intranet did pull up information on it". Now, I know that this is not true so I am in the process of gathering information to show others that this is a misconseption.

I hope this might help explain a little better what I was going for. I am very to the point and sometimes my wording is off and seems abrupt, I mean no disrespect to anyone or the religious beliefs. I am merely looking for answers not arguments. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Catholic Myths.... I was raised Catholic and never heard of a myth. Now others may not agree with the Catholic Church and teachings - those people will call a teaching/belief a myth.

I have a problem with a professor that is already giving you the presumption that there are Catholic Myths.

Thank you for your response.
    Honestly, I had never heard of a Catholic myth until this class either, but unfortunately other individuals do not see it the same way. That is why I did not know where to look and asked the question in the first place. From what I have learned in the last week there are many misconceptions of many different religions and their beliefs. I am doing my best to learn what I can about the religions covered so I can be better informed in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieMac713
    Very unsure what a catholic myth is. Just maybe its your soul trying to reach you.
    My soul is just fine, but thanks for the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle

Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle

www.scripturecatholic.com
    NEW ADVENT: Home
    Vatican: the Holy See
    [bbcode][/bbcode]
    [bbcode][/bbcode]
    Thank you for the information and the help. Hope you have a good day.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Moderator Note: oops. I goofed up. I merged too many posts together. Most of the last post was by woody. Only the beginning of it, with the 3 links, was posted by wangdoodle.

... sorry about that.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Jan 8, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Moderator Note: oops. I goofed up. I merged too many posts together. Most of the last post was by woody. Only the beginning of it, with the 3 links, was posted by wangdoodle.

...sorry bout that.
    Thanks Rick. For a second there I thought I was losing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dr. Phil's Ten Relationship Myths [ 5 Answers ]

Ten Relationship Myths Think your relationship is a failure because you and your partner aren't following certain "rules" or meeting certain standards? Dr. Phil blows the whistle on 10 of the most common but dangerous relationship myths. MYTH #1: A GREAT RELATIONSHIP DEPENDS ON A GREAT...

Myths surrounding breast cancer [ 9 Answers ]

J_9, I loved reading your introduction, even though I am a little late on posting. But I have a question I would like you to answer since you are in the medical field an have been through breast cancer personally, maybe you can give me a definite answer. I'm sure every teenage girl and women has...

View more questions Search