Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesswright07 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Ultrasound and conception
    When you go for an ultrasound and they tell you e.g. 18 weeks and 1 day... do you count back from that day 18 weeks and one day?

Is the date given here your conception date or do you have to take off two weeks
    I am getting confused with all this
    OnYxHaWk Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jesswright07
    when you go for an ultrasound and they tell you e.g. 18 weeks and 1 day... do you count back from that day 18 weeks and one day?

is the date given here your conception date or do you have to take off two weeks
    i am getting confused with all this
    The date obtained by ultrasound is the gestational age of the fetus (baby). It is one of the most accurate non-invasive means to estimate the gestational age, especially when performed between 7-12 weeks of age.

The gestational age is typically estimated from the first day of a woman's last menstrual period and is typically 14 days or 2 weeks greater than the fertilizational or conceptional age. In other words, the fetus is actually about 2 weeks younger than the date you get via ultrasound, or that you estimate when you calculate based on your last menstrual period (LMP).

The conceptional age/time can be recorded down to the hour/minute in fetuses conceived by in-vitro fertilization, but as you can image this is much harder in parents who don't conceive this way.. so it has to be estimated, and it could get messy guessing the wrong time.. and so it is estimated to be 2 weeks after a woman's LMP based on the ovulatory cycle.

Conception date/age = Gestational age - 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ultrasound ?s [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I am 16 weeks pregnant with my third child and they did an ultrasound but to early to find out what it is now I don't go to the docs until I'm 20 weeks but I really want to know are they any way to tell I got 2 boys so if this is a girl I need to get prepared for it what should I do??

Getting an ultrasound. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way that you can go some place just to get an u/s? I really like my doctor and I don't want to go behind his back, but he only does an u/s at 20weeks. I'm 12 weeks and there is a possibility I might be having twins and I would really like to know for sure. I don't know if I can go to an...

21 Week Ultrasound [ 2 Answers ]

I Wanted To Know I Got An Ultrasound At 21 Weeks Of Pregnancy And They Told Me It Was A Boy For Sure , Is There Any Chance That It Could Be A Mistake, Is There A Chance It Could Be A Girl.

20 week ultrasound. [ 17 Answers ]

I went in for my lvl 2 u/s today and everything is looking great. The twins are weighing in at 10oz each. I've gained a total of 9lbs although I've lost two. We managed to find out the sexes today although they weren't as coperative as I had hoped for. It looks like we're having a boy(definately)...

View more questions Search