Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbiec25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Slow internet
    When I first got my internet it was so fast and now after just a few months it's so slow it takes like 15 min just to load my home page.Please tell me how I can speed it up or what may be causing it to run so slow. Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Do you have cable, DSL or dial up.

Do you run regular virus checks, are you using a firewall.

If you are using DSL or cable, have you checked your connection speeds
    When I had a DSL in TN, almost every time they worked on the telephone lines at the main box about 1/2 mile from my house, I would have to call them to come back out and work on it, to fix my DSL line,

Also I found issues with the Norris prograns and changed away from them to another system and found it help things run faster.
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 6, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Also, the internet slowing down could (probably) be caused by your computer running slower.

As you install new programs some of them run on startup. So the issue could be too many programs trying to run.

You can test your actual internet speed at pcpitstop - PC Pitstop: Free PC Diagnostics, computer help and Tuneups

Also try running a virus check (I hope you have a virus scanner and a firewall) and malware check (try spybot and ad-aware).
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Check this page out for something to consider, its free - TCP optimizer
    SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Bobbie,

The Internet does not run slow. The throttle check is your access to the internet. For example, if you are using a dial-up modem at 56Kb (Kilo bits) you are looking at approximately 7,000 bytes per second less control information back and forth to the modem. If you are using DSL or satellite connections, then you are moving millions of bytes per second.

If you have 1 Meg of Memory then the PC has to stop receiving and write to swap memory and then get more data. However, if you have 2 Gigabytes of memory, more information is downloaded before a write cycle has to occur.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Videos won't play on internet or show photos on psp internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my psp not showing videos or photos on the internet, can someone please tell me why?:o

How do I check a company or Internet Site with the Internet Better Business Bureau? [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes find a company or Internet Website, that has not certificate etc. How do I check them out with the BBB for the Internet?

Forced Air Furnace flame good, fan goes slow then fast then slow, etc [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a forced air propane furnace in a "Park Model" rv trailer. (This is a bit smaller than a mobile home) The furnace is used infrequently as the trailer is located in a sumer resort vacation area, however we do like to go up a couple of times in the winter months. Furnace was...

2 NICs, one with internet. No internet. [ 2 Answers ]

This is the setup: I have two computers, a router, and a hub. Computer 1: Connected to the router wirelessly, Connected to to the hub with cat5. Computer 2: Connected to the hub with cat5. This is the problem: With both the wired and wireless connection enabled, I have no internet access. It...

Slow PC [ 3 Answers ]

Hi New to this site so hope Ive come to the correct forum! Anyway MY PC is driving me mad! It is running so slowly. I regularly run anti virus, spyware, registry clean, firewall etc. etc. I am using Windows XP, have 752MB RAM, 1.24GHz processor, 37.2GB hard drive space, of which...

View more questions Search