Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    machinegunmax Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Physics Buoyancy need elp
    currently I am doing coursework where I am dropping a buoyant ball from different heights above a water tank into the water tank. I am then measuring the depth. I lack results so I was wondering if I plotted a graph of height vs depth - would it be a straight line? I think it is because I can say that 1/2 mv^2=fd where force is the buoyant force of the ball which will be constant. But I'm just worried that there's something I've missed out here - so yeah would the graph be a straight line??

Jan 6, 2008, 04:00 PM
    ^^^ missed something out I meant to put mgh instead of 1/2 mv^2...
    id assume h/d = f/mg... and f/mg is constant
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Jan 6, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Depth of What?

Depth of tank cannot change, so please clarify.

Jan 7, 2008, 08:21 AM
    How deep the ball goes... not the depth of the tank. I measure the height above the tank I drop the ball... then I drop the ball film it - freeze frame it to see how deep below the waterlevel the ball gets.
    tjsail Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2008, 06:52 PM
    One other thing to consider. The ball has another force on it that consumes its energy. Drag. If you had a ball with neutral buoyancy, it would slow down from drag in the water. And finally come to a stop and just hang there. That drag will be proportional to velocity in the water. So a plot of depth of penetration in the water versus the height it was dropped from, shouldn't be a straight line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

COURSEWORK H ELP! Buoyancy - ball dropped in water tank from different heights [ 1 Answers ]

For my A2 physics coursework I am doing an experiment where I am dropping a buoyant ball into a water tank from different heights and measuring the depth. Unfortunately I am a bit short on results but so far I have plotted a graph measuring distance vs height and it is a straight line. I am...

What is physics ? [ 2 Answers ]

What is physics ?

Physics [ 5 Answers ]

Please explain how a siphon works?

Help with physics! [ 2 Answers ]

Please help with this physics problem! a. A 50kg water skier is pulled on a lake by a boat with a horizontal force of 400N. If the wind and current applies another force of 100N at an angle of 30degrees relative to the straight-line direction of the boat, what is the skiers acceleration? B.)...

View more questions Search