Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlrl Posts: 44, Reputation: 4

Feb 16, 2008, 06:18 PM
    It's not the conviction that's so bad. It's the fact that these reports can be used to screen out otherwise qualified applicants from employment. Also, it says something about one's moral character being not 100% at some point in one's life. I know from experience, I have a disorderly conduct violation on my record, my first and last. I am fortunate that NY has a few laws that seal or don't report violations but that fact is at one time in my life I acted immorally. I paid a $50 fine which is technically less than it cost me for not wearing my seatbelt. I still have a conviction which I may have to answer to if asked. So far I have been really lucky and it has not affected me. I was convicted when I had the job but did not lose the job. I still have the job today. Having something goiing for you like a job can offset the effects of the conviction. Get him active and over this hump
    getpeaceofmind Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee
    Driving while impaired is BAL of .05-.07.

Driving while intoxicated is BAL .08 and over -

In California you as a LPI are allowed to review Court files?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not just licensed private investigators, anybody has access to most types of court filings. They are public record as they should be.

Usually the clerk at a courthouse will hide some information in a CRIMINAL file like the actual police report, or some personal information, witness info, but never dates of birth. Otherwise there would be no such thing as a criminal background investigation by a private company. And by the way, the only effective way to do any kind of comprehensive background investigation is to go to the court and review the actual file itself.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 01:23 PM
    [QUOTE=getpeaceofmind]Yes, but not just licensed private investigators, anybody has access to most types of court filings. They are public record as they should be.

Usually the clerk at a courthouse will hide some information in a CRIMINAL file like the actual police report, or some personal information, witness info, but never dates of birth. Otherwise there would be no such thing as a criminal background investigation by a private company. And by the way, the only effective way to do any kind of comprehensive background investigation is to go to the court and review the actual file itself.

Originally I thought you said Court files; now I think you are saying Court filings - there's a difference, certainly, and you can also get Court filings/Court papers in NYS... but to the best of my knowledge you cannot get your hands on the actual Court file without a subpoena - if you can get a subpoena.

Must vary State to State.

(By the way - ?)
    rlrl Posts: 44, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Generally any conviction or judgment is a matter of public record as per the constitution or freedom of info laws. It doesn't matter which state it's in

In NY, in a criminal case, the criminal complaint, disposition slip, papers pertaining to the original charge, disposition, sentence are available to the public. It's the police report(a different report from the criminal complaint) and rap sheet which are always confidential and removed from the court file as they are confidential even on a convicted person. Those are 'criminal records" and are considered confidential
    getpeaceofmind Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 02:33 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee
    Originally I thought you said Court files; now I think you are saying Court filings - there's a difference, certainly, and you can also get Court filings/Court papers in NYS ... but to the best of my knowledge you cannot get your hands on the actual Court file without a subpoena - if you can get a subpoena.

Must vary State to State.

(By the way - ?)[/QUOTE]

No I said court files, the actual file with all the papers with the blue backs and scribbled notes, etc. You get to sit in a room and view it as long as you want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 03:34 PM
    The issue here is the term consumer since most criminal histories are gotten from the police departments, not outside agencies. And many jobs require no previous convictions ever as part of their hiring requirements.
    So in general most of your criminal history is not from consumer reporting companies anyway, so normally this is mute. Also I doubt that the law has hardly ever been enforced either, having a law and it being used and enforced are two different things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody now where to get a free credit report and score when you have no credit card to give them Thank you Demon

How do I get a credit report from all three bureaus with no credit card [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get all three creidt reports with out submitting a credit card.

Bad Credit on My Report From MIDLAND FUNDING Credit Issued in 1999? [ 3 Answers ]

The only thing I can think off I did not pay off was a credit card I had applied for in the year 1999 when I was in college. It was a $500 limit card, being that it was a first credit card I did miss some payments & every time I did I would get hit with a $30 late payment + $30 over limit fee plus...

Credit Report [ 2 Answers ]

If you purchase a vehicle at a buy here pay here lot and they don't view your credit to get this vehicle can they report a repossession on your credit report years after the vehicle was taken back?

View more questions Search