Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scoobster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Hot water is brown!
    Moved in to my new house in November and everything was fine until last week when I noticed my hot water was running brown but my cold was was running clear. I tried running down the tank to clear it but it was still the same when it filled back up. I've got the electric heatrae sadia system wich looks quite new. I looked in the tank in the loft and the water looks clear on one side and its quite brown on the other smaller side and the 2 water levels are about the same. Has anybody got a clue as how to solve this problem or will I need to get the experts in thanks in advance
    scoobster
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 6, 2008, 04:42 PM
    The water heater was never flushed or maintained by the previous owner and now the iron oxcide,(rust) has built up in the bottom to the point of getting in the water system. You're gonns hafta flush the heater out along with the hot water lines. Let me show you how to flush your heater. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Wow.. I have NEVER done this. My water heater must be brutal.

Now I don't want to do it cause I'm scared :)
    scoobster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Thanks for your help done this and it seems to have done the trick,once again thanks
    scoobster :)
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 13, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklez
    wow.. i have NEVER done this. my water heater must be brutal.

now i don't want to do it cause i'm scared :)
    Don't be scared. It's never too late to start flushing your water heater. You won't ruin anything; it can only help, and will prolong whatever life your heater has left. Go for it! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brown water [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I've just had the bathroom replaced and now every morning I have a brownish water come out the bath tap.It only comes out the hot tap only the bath and only for 10 secs any ideas?

Brown Water [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have brown water coming out from my bathroom shower faucet (hot only) and my washing machine. Could it be time to replace my water heater? I've contacted the water department and We are the only ones in my neighborhood having this problem. I have to let the water run for a minute or...

NEW hot water heater -- brown water [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a brand new home (New Construction), have city water, and an all house water filter. I went to fill my jetted tub for the first time this evening and the water was brown. I went to the sink, ran the hot water -- it was brown. Emptied the sink, filled it again with cold water it was...

Brown hot water in tub/ and cloudy water in well [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a new house. It has an electric RHEEM hot water heater and I am running it on a well. 1st question about the well cold water is cloudy and I have run the well for 3 straight days. The well is 181 ft deep. Is there a way to get ride of the cloudy water? 2nd My hot water...

Brown water [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a housing complex. Sometimes our water runs out of the bath tub or the sink brown. Can someone tell me what this means. Is it unhealthy for us to use the water? Is there some action that I should take? Is there something I can do to make it stop running brown? Thanks, Lisa

View more questions Search