Is crossing over a kind of mutation?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:22 AM
    I suppose it would depend WHERE you are going
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Read about chromosomal mutations here, then let us know what you think and why.

Mutation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    faezeh Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Hi,
    I read the text.

Mutation is a change in genetic material of a cell and it can be good or bad.Mutation cause difference in species and natural selection let the best individuals live to reproduce.
    The sequence of a gene can be altered in different ways and one of them is chrosomal translocation.Translocation occurs in nonhomologous chromosomes(I think crossing over is a kind of translocation wich occurs in homologous chromosomes!Because it is a change in genetic material,I think it can be a kind of mutation.)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 11:53 AM
    I'm pretty sure that crossing over is not considered a mutation. Crossing over is an exchange of material between homologues, rather than nonhomologous chromosomes. When homologues pair, near-identical sequences are brought into contact and exchange places.

A translocation occurs between different chromosomes.

I hope this helps. I thought this was a great question (and I'm not absolutely sure I answered it correctly). I never thought of this because these topics are usually treated separately in text books.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crossing electrical with television [ 1 Answers ]

I've been told that you shouldn't run an electrical circuit next to A/V wiring or network wiring because of interference. Does this only mean they shouldn't run side by side, or does it also mean they can't cross paths at all? If so, how do you solve this when running both the electrical and A/V...

Time Of Crossing [ 1 Answers ]

A stone is dropped from the top of tower 50 meter high. Simultaneously another stone is thrown upwards with a speed of 20 meter/second. Calculate the time at which both the stone cross each other.

Animal Crossing Wild World DS [ 22 Answers ]

How do you catch fish? Every time I press A it goes away. ITs hard to tell since it doesn't vibrate or something. Help? And what are some good games for DS?

Blower (indoor) won't come on after crossing why and are [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am so new to this I'm in diapers, so please forgive my ignorance. I found out by reading other topics in this forum how to check if my a/c was working, and I did get it to come on (outside) by crossing Y and R. The blower (indoor) was working only in the ON position. I couldn't get to the...

Crossing delancey [ 4 Answers ]

One of my favorite movies of all time is Crossing Delancey, It was made in 1988, and Stared Amy Irving as the shrinking violet. The film touched me in the sense I was going through the same issues Amy was going through,I watched it about at least a hundred times. I would always go to the video...

View more questions Search