Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mymymichl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 02:09 PM
    I found the original Maytag motor at Suffolk Appliance in Bayshore, on the Sunrise Highway. They are exceptionally helpful, and even walked me through the installation on the phone. Phone them at 631 665 6445. Good luck.
    SlimPickens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 03:02 PM
    New Maytag purchased Saturday, May 11, 2007 not cooling in either freezer or inside model #MSD2641 getting ready to send it back to Home Depot, any quick suggestion for getting it going?
    mvario Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mymymichl
    I found the original Maytag motor at Suffolk Appliance in Bayshore, on the Sunrise Highway. They are exceptionally helpful, and even walked me through the installation on the phone. Phone them at 631 665 6445. good luck.
    Thanks much!
    amigo-2k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by akvince
    Our 4 year old Maytag refrigerator (MTB2156GE) is not providing adequate cooling. We pulled it out and cleaned behind and below- all systems appear to be working, but even as we adjust thermostat for cooler temp, it remains tempid inside. Frig has also been making some loud noises- almost like the sound an empty plastic soda bottle makes when the air inside heats up and the plastic expands. Is there an online repair manual we can consult before calling in the expensive repair person?
    I have the same fridge as the original poster. The lower unit was getting warm so I cranked the temp down. 2 weeks later my pop sickles melted and the upper part was not cooling correctly. So I pulled the back of the freezer from the inside and found ice. So I thawed it out. Plugged it in and I noticed the upper fan doesn't work. So it looks like I'll be purchasing a new condenser fan. Purchased 25Jun2002...
    rapponcape Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
    I've got the same problem with a kenmore refrideg(106.71289100), condenser fan motor. The motor will not self start, but, will run fine if I spin the fan manually to get it going. It's a white panasonic motor: UDQR003W8, 48mA.

I found the thing at repairclinic for $87,
    Appliance Parts from RepairClinic.com - Product Details

I'd like to find something cheaper that may actually work for awhile.

Any suggestions on replacement motors?

Thanks,
    Wr
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 01:03 PM
    That price is about right for a new one. Maybe could try a local appliance store. May get a different price or many appliance repair centers may have a used motor. Good Luck
    burntnerves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Same Problem with maytag mtb2156ge fridge. Uses the same panasonic motor. I've been using a butterknife to reach the fan motor and give it a flick to start it. Glad to know that I should use an alternate since the Pana is NFG. Cold Beer at last!!
    LocalHero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 07:09 AM
    I have the same problem with a Kenmore fridge but my motor # is UDQR003W7 as opposed to ending in 8. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable?
    There also seems to be a Whirlpool # associated with this motor: 2206036

I found these motors much cheaper via Ebay (item 320148888241) and also at partstore.com
    I have no idea if the quality differs with the cheaper versions but the eBay one is made by panasonic which is the case with the one in my fridge.

John
    ScoreInjected Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 09:11 AM
    LocalHero, the UDQR003W7 and the UDQR003W8 are interchangeable. They are supposed to be the same motor with the '7 manufactured in Japan and the '8 manufactured in Thailand. I have seen evidence that strongly suggests that the '8's are more reliable than the '7's. Either could have the problem where they lose the ability to self-start, but the problem is more likely to occur with the '7's.
    tbuzz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Thanks applguy. I had the same problem with my Maytag frig and you saved me big $$$.
    I replaced the evaporator fan myslef with no problem.

The one caution was that the new fan came with a different connector. I had to cut and splice the wire with wire ties. Rather not have done that... I'm not sure if the parts store made a mistake or this is common.
    howy61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 11:39 AM

This thread sounds close to my issue.

After 8 years, my MTB2156DE is no longer defrosting. No Popping or hissing and frost/ice build up on the back wall in the freezer. The evaporative fan is running continually but the refrig is warming up to 50 degrees F.

I have yet to start pulling it apart, but the symptoms makes me think either the defroster itself or it's thermostat is bad. Are there any diagrams available to know what I am looking once I get into unit? Altenatively, suggestion on checking components to see which one is bad?
    sanrico Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 08:21 PM

I fixed my problem tonight and I just wanted to write and resurrect this thread to thank applguy for such great advice. I also have a Maytag MTB2156GE. It was running loudly the past few weeks and finally stopped running. The freezer and fridge were cold, but not cold enough.

I was shocked to find the 61005339 motor was $100! So after reading this thread, I asked the parts counter if there was an "off brand" motor I could use and the guy said, "Oh, well, sure...we have this universal one for twenty dollars." It took me a few minutes to install it and presto, the fridge is working again!

Thanks, applguy! You saved me a lot of money!
    kalfaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 06:38 PM

I ran into the same problem with multiple failures on the little panasonic fan. I just installed a different one and had to hard wire it in - not sure if I got the fan direction going the right way.
    Its is blowing air not sucking air. Model is a freezer on top model. Maytag MTB2156GE - should the fan blow air or pull it in?
    jerzey64th Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2011, 05:34 AM
    My Mytag fridge is about 5 years old and same thing happened where no ice since the freezer won't cool to the desired temperature. I spoke to a friend he came and unplugged the fridge, 2 seconds later, he plugged it back in. If the compressor doesn't start, If you don't here the noise it's the overload and the relay. Just change those two parts and it will work.

But only if you try the first step which is unplugging. Also you can check to see if the little tub there is hot. It should always be hot.
    lbmalibu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2011, 06:29 AM
    <<From Kalfaz: I ran into the same problem with multiple failures on the little panasonic fan. I just installed a different one and had to hard wire it in - not sure if I got the fan direction going the right way. Its is blowing air not sucking air. Model is a freezer on top model. Maytag MTB2156GE - should the fan blow air or pull it in?>>

Fan should turn CCW when installed thus drawing air up over evaporator, through fan hole and out (blowing air) into the freezer and down plastic channel to the fridge.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2011, 07:13 PM
    Comment on ofted42's post
    Sounds like the defrost system has a problem such as a bad heater, terminator, or timer. The refrigerator gets its cold air through that hole, but if coils are blocked with ice it will not get enough airflow to cool. I hope you put all of the panels you removed back like you found them and the condenser is clean. DrTom4444
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    It would not leak unless you poked around with a sharp tool and punctured a line or broke a line by moving it. DrTom4444
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2011, 07:18 PM
    You don't need a diagram, only a meter. If power is getting to fan and it's not running then you need a fan, otherwise find the fan switch and check it out. It's very simple to diagnose. These fans can be found at any parts house. DrTom4444
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Comment on applguy's post
    The Johnstone motor is much better, but other parts houses have universal shaded pole motors in kits that can be reversed if necessary. DrTom4444
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2011, 07:22 PM
    You should get about 115 volts to this motor or the same that you have at the receptacle. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Refrigerator Cooling Problem [ 12 Answers ]

Need Help on cooling issue. My maytag MSD2756AEW side by side is not cooling the refrigerator side. When I close the freezer side the cold air stops coming into the refrigerator side. There is no blockage in the crossover vent at the top. Anyone have advice on this? Thanks

Fairly new Maytag side-by-side MSD2657HSE not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This is a 18month old side-by-side Maytag MSG2657HSE refrigerator. The freezer half works perfectly, but the refrigerator half has stopped cooling. Also just 2 days before this happened the following was noticied by my wife - During the day time she noticed that water was seeping out from the...

Maytag Refrigerator MTB1956DEW cooling problems [ 4 Answers ]

Top mounted freezer unit. Refrigerator compartment does not cool enough even though I set temp. control to maximum cool (value 9). Freeezer is working fine, and compressor and fans run properly. Per Maytag I cleaned back bottom compressor, fan and condenser with vacuum cleaner and brush. Still the...

Maytag fridge not cooling II [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I'm a newbie - earlier this year there was a thread describing a problem and solutions almost identical to mine. I have a Maytag Plus refrigerator Model # MTB1956GE*. Like "Maytag fridge not cooling", my evap fan (the one that cools the coils on bottom/rear of fridge) won't always kick on...

View more questions Search