Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanajanet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Independent contractor vs employee
    I am having a debate with colleagues in the dance school industry. I clearly know the difference between an independent contractor and an employee but many still hire teachers and treat them as independent contractors.

They give them set hours, a weekly, monthly or hourly salary and have other requirements. I have been trying to tell them that they are in danger of being caught and paying fines, and past benefits to the employee.

What else can I say to convince them that it's not a good idea? :confused:

Thanks.

Janet
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Yes, in the dance and music industry this is very common for them to be independent contractors, They are not hiring them but contracting them, to cover a set of classes ( which would be at set times)
    For example a private contractor may contract to do janitorial services at a business, they would be required to do speicific duties, at speicific times, that is their contract.

So often it may be other factors that make the differnece. As to office duties, and how the teacher is managed,
    tlarocca Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 06:56 AM
    What happens often is that one or more of these "employees" leaves and decides to go their local unemployment office to apply for benefits. They then tell the office that they worked at this dance school, for so many days, hours etc. The Dance school then gets caught and the fines etc ensue.

This will happen guaranteed, especially if the person leaves disgruntled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I expense as an independent contractor or employee? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a dentist and had two jobs last year where I worked a couple days at one office and a couple of days at the other. I was an independent contractor at one and I was an employee at the other. So, how do I go about deducting my expenses? Can I do them as a contractor or employee? Where would I...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

Both Employee and Independent Contractor... [ 13 Answers ]

How do I properly file my taxes if I worked as an Employee and an Independent Contractor at various times throughout the year?

Both Independent Contractor and Employee? [ 6 Answers ]

I work as a marketing assistant for a real estate company, I get a base salary that the company pays, and on top of that I get a "commission bonus" from the specific agents I work for that is paid directly out of pocket by those agents. The commission bonus is based on what those agents themselves...

View more questions Search