Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustang83 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Any feedback about courthouse wedding?
    I'm 19 my boyfriend and I have known each other since we were 15 and have been dating for a year. We have lived together for about 8 months. We have talked about getting married for months and he finally has come out and ask me to marry him but we are deciding to get married in a courthouse now and once we graduate college re-new and do the "proper" wedding with our family's and everything. I don't come from a religious family or anything but I still told him that he has to ask my father's blessing before we get married. I guess I don't really have a question but any feedback would be wonderful
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Call ahead and make an appoint with the judge. In Cobb County GA for example the judge does weddings twice a day M-F

But in some courthouses an appointment has to be made.

Also many courts have a list of preachers that are glad to do the service at the court house or even your home or the preachers home. If you do have a religious desire.
    Also many of these pastors ( I Know I Do) love to do on site weddings,
    At perhaps the place you meet, or another special place. I have done them in planes, on ballons, at pool parties, at walmart, at a firehouse.
    Tradition is great if that is what you want, but a great wedding can be low cost and fun, sommething to always remember

Jan 5, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Do I just call any local courthouse or will any courthouse do it? If it helps any I live in New York.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 08:44 PM
    In NY, if you live in the city ( I may be wrong) I would call the court house. You will need to get a marriage license first ( at least know what it takes to get it,) so you can ask the clerk where you get your license what requirements the judge has there.

A lot different from NY city to Lake George NY. ( wonderful place if anyone wants a great honeymoon place) And of course Lake Placid is just to die for if you are into the ski thing.

It is always a great idea to call the clerk and ask them what and how they do things.

New York Marriage License Laws

Jan 5, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Thanks so much I already found where we have to go to get the license but I don't know if I should feel weird I guess getting married in a courthouse, I've only been in one, one time and it was not because I was in trouble with the law. I also don't know how my parents are going to react. Granted they got marreid when the were 17-18 and have been happily married for 30 years.. I think my mom will be happy because she knows I am happy but I'm not sure about the rest of my family, any suggestions?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 09:43 PM
    We got married in Elkton, MD. It was and maybe still is the marriage capital of the country.
    Many celebrities have gotten married there. Its maybe 2 hours from NYC.
    I don't think God cares where you get married so long as you honor the vows.
    Best wishes

Jan 6, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Did you get married in a courthouse?
    mldubose Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Get ready to call me a giant b*tch, but here goes...

Number one--Things are very different from when your parents got married. Back then a person could get a job right out of high school and do pretty well. Buying a house didn't cost 10 times your salary, and health insurance premiums didn't rob you blind.

Number two--What is your college major? You seem to have trouble making nouns plural, so I worry that finding a good job may be difficult. To make "family" plural, you change the "y" to "i" and add "es". This is just but one of the grammar errors included in the mix. It will reflect poorly on you when you try to find a job. These basic skills are required to even be a receptionist, which is a hard job to get in this economy.

Number three-- Living on love sounds cute, but it will only get you through for a short time. What if you get pregnant? Having to take care of a kid when you're broke won't be any fun at all.

Number four-- Do you wonder what you'll be missing if you spend your young adulthood as a wife instead of as an individual? There's a lot of personal growth one needs to be a good spouse, and "growing up together" sounds sweet, but it doesn't work.

Number five-- Are you trying to qualify for more financial aid by being married?

These are the main concerns I have. I guess I've just seen too many people get married really young when they've never dated anyone else or done anything in their lives. These are called "started marriages" because they usually end in divorce within about five years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Courthouse Wedding [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: My fiancé and I want to just have a courthouse wedding but we are having a hard time figuring out how to go about doing it! We live in Henry County Georgia and have no clue where to go to actually get married! Is a marriage license the same thing? We are lost! :( Please someone help! We...

Courthouse Wedding? [ 3 Answers ]

If you have a courthouse wedding, do you still need 2 witnesses? If I'm in a different state getting married, and don't know anyone in that state, could I find 2 strangers to be the witnesses? About how long does it take to get the marriage certificate? Can the marriage certificate be...

Courthouse Wedding [ 2 Answers ]

My Fiancé and I decided to get marry now at a courthouse. However we do not how to go about it. I know we have to get a license but don't know where to go from there. We don't know what courthouse to go to, or what we need for the wedding? Please help, we want to do this in the next two months. I...

Courthouse wedding [ 1 Answers ]

I live in webb county Texas and want to marry my fiancé from turkey. But we have no idea how to do it. Please help

Courthouse Wedding [ 1 Answers ]

How Does A Courthouse Service Go? What Do We Wear And Do We Need Rings?

View more questions Search