Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    floofybunny Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 06:31 PM
    If I solder a small copper fitting will the heat melt the existing joints?
    I am new to soldering and am wondering if I solder to a fitting with an existing soldered joint will the heat re-melt the solder in the first joint?
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 5, 2008, 06:59 PM
    First off, I should point out that the ideal procedure is that when soldering a given fitting, you should solder all of the joints made with it at the same time, so as to avoid such problems.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you - even if an existing joint does melt a bit, as long as you don't mess around with it, it will re-harden into place just as it should.

Have fun!
    Moishe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Part of the reason a plumber would get $50-$100 for a 5 minute job like that is that it would take him 5 minutes. Experience and aptitude count. Try it. If worst comes to worst, you can give up on it, and go buy a Shark Bite fitting. $10 or less gets you system back together. Try wraping wet rags on the joint you don't want to come apart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips on copper compression fitting? [ 11 Answers ]

My problem is whenever I work with coppoer compression fittings, I never seem to get a good seal and something always leaks. Are there any tips on how to do it right? Should I use a hack saw verse my Reciprocating Saw to cut the tube? (SLow vs Fast). I know the cut has to be straight, then...

Copper Pipe Compression Fitting [ 7 Answers ]

I'm installing a dishwasher, I've never had one before so I am making all new pipe connections. I'm trying to add a t-fitting and then a valve to a copper water line to be able to turn off the dishwasher water supply while still being able to use the sink. I was told a T-compression would work. ...

Copper joints under non-removeable sub-floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! We are plumbing a new bathroom with 1/2" copper. A friend advised me to avoid joints in the copper under the sub-floor where they could not be accessed if they leak. (The sub floor will have tile over it when finished). My plumber says this should not be a concern and we can have a 'T'...

Connecting PVC to Threaded Copper fitting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fitting in a wall which began leaking with mold developing on the wall board. When I took out the wall the culprit was a fitting between a female threaded copper fitting and a male PVC fitting in a hot water line. I initially took out the PVC fitting and fitted the joint with a new fitting...

Copper drips at soldered joints [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the copper in my kitchen replaced by a plumber. I have been working in the kitchen... getting it ready to have the cabinets installed. I have noticed some joints drip a little bit from the soldered joints. I notice the drops on the concrete. When I touch it to check it, the drips...

View more questions Search