Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dp3020 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
    How to get rid of fleas on cat
    Quick question about fleas on a cat. We discovered that our indoor cat has fleas. So we shampooed him with flea shampoo then we gave him Zodiac Spot on Plus flea & tick Control 3mth supply 2 days ago & today I have found at least 4 live ones still on him. What else can we do to get rid of fleas. We are thinking about calling our vet Monday to see what he says.

Thanks DP
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 04:00 PM
    We used Frontline on our four adult cats. The fleas couldn't get off fast enough! Two of the cats seemed to react to the Frontline (or the increased activity of the fleas) by hiding under the bed for about 24 hrs. We dusted the carpets with flea powder and vacuumed at least three times over the next week, and each time disposed of the vacuum bag inside a sealed garbage bag each time.

We are flea-free now, but comb the cats with a flea comb just to be sure.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:12 PM
    You can get a flea comb at Walmart.. it must be fine toothed and put a small amount of soap in a bowl with water when you comb fleas out of the fur drop them in the water.
    I would not put any other type of chemical on them until I had the advice of the vet.
    I would also vacuum my sofa/chairs if possible.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dp3020
    Quick question about fleas on a cat. We discovered that our indoor cat has fleas. So we shampooed him with flea shampoo then we gave him Zodiac Spot on Plus flea & tick Control 3mth supply 2 days ago & today I have found at least 4 live ones still on him. What else can we do to get rid of fleas. We are thinking about calling our vet Monday to see what he says.
    When you talk to the vet, be sure and tell them everything that you have done. If you use to many different products at the same time, you could wind up poisoning your cat.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Jan 12, 2008, 08:50 PM
    I tried the Frontline on my cats but it did not work as well as the Advantage did. Every cat is different though - try one or the other until you find the one that works for you. You need to make sure that the product is applied every month, you wash any towels/bedding as often as possible with hot water and soap, and you mop/vacuum often. Also, if you have time, giving them a bath on a regular basis will help - and a flea shampoo may not be necessary. I use Advantage on my cats and give them regular baths with an oatmeal shampoo and that works out.

One thing - make sure that you buy the product that is for your pet's weight - too much can cause skin irritation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Howdy folks, I have 3 dogs,a toy poodle,a jack russle/chiawawamix, and an 86 poubd chow dog.We have all the high dollar flea stuff, and can kill them on the dogs, but my question is... What can I do about killing them in the yard?? Is there a spray or some sort of poisen to kill these things in...

Can't get rid of these fleas! [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old dog. He never had fleas up until a month ago. My friend brought her dog over, and wouldn't you know it, he had fleas. I have tried flea baths, the stuff you put on the back of their neck, nothing works! Anyone have any ideas? I'm taking him to the vet next week anyway, but...

Puppy with fleas [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought an 8 week old pomeranian. She has quite a few fleas. How can I get rid of the fleas? Every shampoo I saw said it was for 12 weeks and older. Are there any flea shampoos for puppies younger than 12 weeks?

Fleas [ 1 Answers ]

My female german shepherd got fleas during her pregnancy and we didn't think we could do anything about it but now all 11 pups have fleas also... what can we do about:confused: the puppies are 4 days old today. Thanks Martha

Fleas! [ 3 Answers ]

Home remedies for 12 week old beagle with fleas can't get rid of them. PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search