Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandrawheeler1968 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Job application
    When the job application asks" Are you a convicted felon" what do you say?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 5, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Well normally YES or NO
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Since I am not, I say no
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
    If you want the job, then you are going to be honest in what you answer. If you have been convicted of a felony, then I don't see any problem with also attaching a letter to the application that explains what you did, how remorseful you are and what you have learned because of what you did and how you have grown personally since the commission of the crime. At least by attaching an additional document such as a letter, it would help to explain your situation better and also show how willing you are to make extra effort in order to obtain employment.
    johnbender Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Yes, because if you lie... They'll find out. If a job application asks that question, then the job requires a police clearance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Hello sandra:

I say yes.

excon
    SonofSam Posts: 35, Reputation: 7

Jan 7, 2008, 02:24 PM
    In my state, I'm sure others are the same as well, they are NOT supposed to discriminate against anyone's criminal convictions unless it substantially relates to the job that you will be performing.

So, obviously they're not going to hire a pedophile at a day care or a habitual drunk driver as a delivery man.

But this type of discrimination happens all the time. I know from personal experience. Hell even crackheads are more desirable than felons at some places. I guess its just the stigma attached to the title. When people think felony they think murder, rape, armed robbery, etc.

So yeah, be honest, and the more time that elapses after the fact, the easier it is to explain to a prospective employer that it was just a bad time in your life and you learned your lesson.

Besides if you do lie, they'll eventually find out and fire you anyway.

Jan 7, 2008, 04:32 PM
    If a person is a thief, some places don't want to be at risk of them stealing from them. If a person has a history of criminal violence against another, they don't want to be at risk of them getting into a violent confrontation with a customer.

Criminal convictions can be judged like that, as employers would rather have a person who doesn't have a criminal conviction, meaning it's more risk free.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
    You tell the truth. If you have been convicted then you answer yes.

Jan 7, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Just beware though.. They might hire you with a criminal record if there is good cause and they like you enough, but a buddy of mine was in that situation. They hired him, and in the initial interview, he told them that he had a criminal record, but they hired him anyway. One month later after his police clearance was in, they pulled him right out of work and fired him because he had a record. Basically the higher end people didn't accept it.

Jan 8, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbender
    Just beware though.. They might hire you with a criminal record if there is good cause and they like you enough, but a buddy of mine was in that situation. They hired him, and in the initial interview, he told them that he had a criminal record, but they hired him anyway. One month later after his police clearance was in, they pulled him right out of work and fired him because he had a record. Basically the higher end people didn't accept it.
    Your buddy should have consulted an attorney. If they gave him a job fully aware that he had a record then terminated him because he had a record, he might have won a breach pf promise suit.

Jan 8, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Really eh?

I'm surprised that wasn't even suggested by anyone he talked to. It's all water under the bridge now though, it happened 4 years ago and he's happily enjoying a career.

But, with what you said.. I'll keep that in mind. Never even thought about it

Jan 8, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbender
    I'm surprised that wasn't even suggested by anyone he talked to. It's all water under the bridge now though, it happened 4 years ago and he's happily enjoying a career.

But, with what you said.. I'll keep that in mind. Never even thought about it
    A job offer is a promise, its an enforceable contract. The company could have fired him for any number of reasons, but if the stated reasons was his record and they were aware of the record at the time the offer was made, then you have a breach of promise.

Yes it's a moot point now, but a point worth making for others who might find themselves in that situation.
    singlemom71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Doesn't some applications you fill out in ILLINOIS only go back so many years on the conviction of a felony?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Hello mom:

Yes, of course. But that wasn't the question.

excon

Jan 8, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemom71
    Doesnt some applications you fill out in ILLINOIS only go back so many years on the conviction of a felony?
    Some job applications do say something to the effect of:

Have you been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years.

But whether it does or not is immaterial to the question asked. The simple answer is you fill out a job application truthfully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Application to accelerate & application to revoke [ 14 Answers ]

Application to accelerate and application to revoke? What are the different. :cool:

Make-up re-application [ 2 Answers ]

I work long hours so when my face is all oily, before re-applying my make-up would you recommend me to wash my face with water or use face wipes. And is it necessary to put moisturiser after I wash or use face wipes? Thanking you in advance. Ziri

Make up application [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I'm tired of applying my eye make up the same way everyday. Can anyone give me some tips on applying my eye make up. THANKS

View more questions Search