Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashishgoels Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Income tax for senior citizen
    Dear Sir,

I am a resident Indian senior citizen. I am retired from the government service and getting pension. I wanted to know my tax liability for the year with following earnings:

-Income from Pension= 96000/- per year
    -Income from Short term capital gain (selling shares)-150000/-

i.e. my approx total income is 246000 for the year April 2007- march 2008.

I will be very thankful to you if you let me know how much tax I need to pay.

Thanks a lot
    PC
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 10:31 PM
    About $68,000 if the pension is subject to U.S. taxes.

About $35,000 if not.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
    It appears to be India income tax question. I have some idea about India tax, but can't say for sure.
    You will declare all the Rs. 246,000 income. For senior citizen, the deductible is $185,000. So taxable income is Rs. 61,000. This is from your short term capital gain (sale of shares), which is taxed at 10%.
    Tax payable is Rs. 6,100.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 10:53 AM
    My post bwas for U.S. taxes, so it is good that MukatA addresses the Indian side of the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Senior Citizen [ 3 Answers ]

I am a senior citizen... - I'm the life of the party... even when it lasts 'till 8pm. - I'm very good at opening childproof caps with a hammer. - I'm usually interested in going home before I get to where I'm going. - I'm good on a trip for at least an hour without my aspirin,...

Renting to an Senior Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

My elderly mother in law wishes to move into a new rental apt. in Northern California. She filled out the appropriate paperwork and the Owners of the building asked for 3 terms to be accepted: 1) Good rental history 2) Good credit history and 3) 3 times the rent in current income. My Mother in...

Senior Citizen Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

My 73 year old mother has some credit card debts she has tried to pay off but cant. All she gets is social security and it isn't enough to pay them and her other bills. She owns her home but recently bought a home (with a mortgage) for my brother (he makes the payments but its in her name). Can...

Letter to Senior Citizen [ 8 Answers ]

I work as a customer service coordinater. A senior citizen wrote a letter to the president that he wants me to address. This is what the letter reads... Dear Sir/Madam, Please be advised that the fees to cash a payroll check are too high. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. Please consider...

Senior citizen debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, The sheriff delivered something from a law firm to my 75 year old mother. They are trying to get a judgement against her for a debt she owes but can't afford to pay. She has a bank account where her social security and my deceased fathers military and small work pensions, can they take...

View more questions Search