Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Louneedshelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Bathroom rough in
    Thanks for he opportunity to get help from experts through this forum.

I have a two year old house with a basement rough in that consists of a 4 inch pipe about 16 inched from the wall. There is also a smaller pipe about 4 feet away that is supposed to be used for the sink. Running up the wall about two feet from the large pipe is a vent pipe that connects to the main vent running the length of the house.

I would like to install a small bathroom but when I pulled the cap off the large (toilet) pipe about two gallons of water rushed up and out. The water smelled stale but was clear and not like sewage. The cap was not glued so it did not take much effort to pull it off. The water went down and I put the cap back on. Since then I have noticed some seeping from time to time.

I’m ready to start working but before I start the job should I have my main drain checked for blockage? There is a washing machine drain about 15 feet away that is only about 12 inches higher than the bathroom pipes and I have never had any problem with water backing up there. I don’t want to open the bathroom drains and have a flood. What is your advice?
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Jan 1, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Gravity fed or sump pump?
    My question is whether you know how the pipes in the basement drain. Is there reason to believe it is just gravity fed out to the street or is there perhaps a pump involved with the drain at that point. If it is gravity fed and you want to be sure there is no blockage, why not hire a company to camera the line?
    Darrel
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 2, 2006, 06:25 AM
    Hi Lou,

"There is a washing machine drain about 15 feet away that is only about 12 inches higher than the bathroom pipes and I have never had any problem with water backing up there."
    Please explain what you mean. The washer stand pipe is a foot above the lowest drain,( tub or shower)?

Why not take the cap off the 4" toilet stub up and cycle the washer. If it backs up you have a clog farther on downstream in the sewer line and it needs to be snaked. I don't get the impression that there's a sewerage pump involved or you would have more problems then you have indicated. Darrels idea of running a camera down the line has merit but if it's a partial clog you're going to end up snaking that line out. Regards, Tom
    Louneedshelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Basement rough in
    Thanks for the advice,

The washer pipe is about 12 inches higher than the lowest drain in the rough in. The washer drain pipe runs about 6 feet and connects above ground to the main drain. I assume the rough in pipes connect to the same main drain below the concrete slab.

I’ll uncap the pipe and run the washer and some other water sources to see if a backup occurs.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in bathroom rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I have a bathroom on the ground floor. For the past week it has had an oder of a skunk! We use that bathroom for storage of boxes, we are assured nothing is dead in there, we cleaned everything out and it still stinks. The pipes in the ground don't seem loose. Can this smell be coming from the...

Basement bathroom rough-in [ 5 Answers ]

Our house is 3years old and in the basement there are three rough-ins, one is definitely the toilet and one is in the area of the tub(pvc sticking up about a foot and gravel around it)and the third is left side of the toilet... do all three of these need to be vented, or can I join the two 2"...

Basement Bathroom - NO ROUGH IN [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are finishing our basement and the previous owners didn't fork up the money for a rough in. We're only putting in a toilet and sink. The house is only 5 year old. My questions are: "What are our options for putting in a toilet? Do we have to break up the concrete? What is...

Bathroom Rough in [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of putting a half bath in the basement. There is a white PVC pipe that is capped flush with the floor. I am hoping this is the rough in for a toilet. Is there anything else this might be. The cap is a screw in type and has sewer cleanout printed on it by the manufacturer. As of...

Basement bathroom rough ins [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of developing my basement. There is no rough-in for bathrooms. I'm putting an ensuite attached to a room with a shower, vanity and toilet. Backing on to this bathroom is another 1/2 bathroom with toilet and sink. There was no future vent put in when the house was built making...

View more questions Search