Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trina1259 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Removing a name from a house Deed and adding another.
    My Mother recently found out through a neighbor surfing the net that my deceased Step-Father's name was still on our house deed. :confused: Since my Mother and I share the same home, she would like to have his name removed from the Deed and have my name added, so the home would be mine, if something should ever happen to her. :( Could you possibly tell me what steps we need to take, to do this, without having to cost a lot? I am physically disabled and my Mother is a senior citizen, so we do not have a lot of money to spend. :o I would be so appreciative, if you could help us or point us in the right direction. :)

Thank you for your time and response.
    trina1259
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Hello trina:

All she needs to do is make out a will leaving you the house.

excon

Jan 5, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello trina:

All she needs to do is make out a will leaving you the house.

excon
    She has already done that, but she was told by someone that she would have to pay $159 at City Hall, to have his name removed and have my name added, so his family could not come and try to legally claim the home as his. Is that possible, could that really happen and does she really have to go through City Hall to make it legal? I like your seggestion better.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
    You basically have to file a new deed showing his name removed, along with proof that he is dead ( assuming the deed was made out with right of survivialship, making the other listed paper the owner,

If it is not listed that way it may even have to go to probate court to remove his name, But it would not be done at a city hall ( at least in any place I lived) it is done at the recorder of deeds office whichis normally a county office.

So it is all a matter of how the deceased person is listed on the deed as to what has to be done to remove him. If it is listed with right of survivialshop, really nothing has to be done, now, since at his death she automatically took over all ownership

And a will would cover everything.

But if it was not listed with right of survivialship, then it needs to be done though probate court depending on the laws of inheritance for your state.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    You basicly have to file a new deed showing his name removed, along with proof that he is dead ( assuming the deed was made out with right of survivialship, making the other listed paper the owner,

If it is not listed that way it may even have to go to probate court to remove his name, But it would not be done at a city hall ( at least in any place I lived) it is done at the recorder of deeds office whichis normally a county office.

So it is all a matter of how the deceased person is listed on the deed as to what has to be done to remove him. If it is listed with right of survivialshop, really nothing has to be done, now, since at his death she automaticly took over all ownership

and a will would cover everything.

But if it was not listed with right of survivialship, then it needs to be done though probate court depending on the laws of inheritance for your state.

And my only thought would be whether his name actually is still on the deed - internet records are not necessarily correct and/or up to date. Didn't your mother ever notice if tax bills come in both names?

I would also file a new Deed to sort this out or you could have your hands full trying to prove the chain of ownership at the time of your mother's death - I'm not saying anyone could or would question ownership or could or would win the fight but you could be tied up with Attorneys for a long time.

Jan 6, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Thank you all so much for helping me out with your replies. His information has helped me greatly and now I know somewhat, in what direction I need to turn. I do have one more question. How do I go about or what steps do I need to take in filing a new Deed, with both my Mother's name and my name on it. She does already have a will, but I do want to take that extra step, to be sure everything is legal and binding.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jan 7, 2008, 06:00 AM
    You need an attorney to file proper paperwork to remove dead father than add you... this should have been done in probate when father died.
    rudynbly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 02:55 PM
    My spouse died 20-20-08. What steps am I obligated to preform? r@b
    rudynbly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 03:10 PM
    What do I do when my spouse died 10-10-07? r@b
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 03:58 PM
    You are very correct, I was "assuming" the internet is correct, The assumptioin is of course if they had taken the name off after his death, they would have know that when it went though probate court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trina1259
    Thank you all so much for helping me out with your replies. his information has helped me greatly and now I know somewhat, in what direction I need to turn. I do have one more question. How do I go about or what steps do I need to take in filing a new Deed, with both my Mother's name and my name on it. She does already have a will, but I do want to take that extra step, to be sure everything is legal and binding.

I'd call the Attorney who prepared the Will and ask for assistance - I don't think I'd take a chance of doing something that will further cloud the Deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a spouse to a house deed [ 1 Answers ]

How would my husband g oabout adding my name to his house deed. He bought the house 10 yrs ago, we got married 3 yrs ago.

Adding someone to a house deed [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a house and paid cash. The deed is in my name only right now. My fiancé wants me to add him to the deed because he says it will help both our credits (they arnt the greatest right now)as far as getting a home inprovement loan. Banks have told us it will help us also. I love him dearly...

Adding my name to the house deed [ 1 Answers ]

I've been married and living in our home for 7 years, yet my name is still not our house deed. Whenever I question my husband about it, he states adding my name to the deed alone will weaken his credit rating (I do not have a lot of established credit), and he has no intentions of adding my name...

Adding a name to a house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently got married. He purchased our home is his name before we got married. Now that we are married we want to add my name as well. What do we need to do this and where do we go to do it?

Adding spouse name to house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a house that he is renting to tenants but he is still making mortgage payments and want to add my name to it what steps do I take to do take? Thank you, Mistyrita

View more questions Search