Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkselfe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Served papers or not?
    If you are verbally served to appear in court as a witness, is it legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Is this a civil law suit and does one party wish you to appear for their witness? Most summoms for court will be in writing.
    kkselfe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
    This is in reference to a divorce. The server went to my friends job and verbally served him to appear as a witness for the defense. He did not sign anything, but the server told him he is served. This is in the state of Virginia. My soon to be ex-husband is trying to bring my boyfriend into this. I did not start seeing this gentlemen until 8 months after legal separation. So my husband is trying to sue me for adultery after I have already filed for divorce due to mental and verbal abuse. This man just terrifies me. He is off the wall. He is doing this strictly for the money involved. So what does my boyfriend do about this situation?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Without a written subpeona he is not required to appear. I think the "server" was probably a friend of your husband's trying to initimdate him. A subpeona to testify must be filed with the court. Ask your attorney to check if such a subpeona was issued for your boyfriend.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Yes, does not sound real at all, for example if you were my close friend and I wanted you to be a character witness, I may ask you to appear in court
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Please don't use PMs for follow-up. Please reply to the thread.

I think I answered whether I believe the server was real or not.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kkselfe
    This is in reference to a divorce. The server went to my friends job and verbally served him to appear as a witness for the defense. He did not sign anything, but the server told him he is served. This is in the state of Virginia. My soon to be ex-husband is trying to bring my boyfriend into this. I did not start seeing this gentlemen until 8 months after legal separation. So my husband is trying to sue me for adultery after I have already filed for divorce due to mental and verbal abuse. This man just terrifies me. He is off the wall. He is doing this strictly for the money involved. So what does my boyfriend do about this situation?

Absolutely if the facts are as you say this is not legal service - if the "server" pretended to be a process server (in many States an Officer of the Court) the "server" can be charged with impersonating an Officer of the Court. Pretty much anyone can serve papers - if there actually are papers!

I am in NYS and a divorce on charges of adultery 99.9% of the time gets changed to cruel and inhuman treatment - the Court is no longer interesting in adultery allegations. At one time matrimonial surveillances were expensive and there were a lot of them - now there really is no need because the Court simply does not care.

Would also think your boyfriend could get an Order of Protection based on the "server" showing up at his work place, possibly trying to intimidate him.

What does your Attorney say - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served divorce papers [ 3 Answers ]

After acquiring his U.S.Citizenship my husband is divorcing me. What happens if I don't respond to being served divorce papers ? There is no community property to be divided as he insisted on everything being kept separate. I have separate property including my home of 25 yrs. Which is held in...

Being served papers [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of a sheriff processor that is trying to serve me papers at my house. He also has called my son to try and pick up these papers. I am sure it is over an old credit card bill. I know that if I accept the papers then will have a court date and then if I do not go to court they put a...

I was served with papers CC debt [ 3 Answers ]

I came home to my apt building and low and behold there was a paper on the glass door saying I was being sued by Capital one. The bottom line is I owe money to other credit cards I must owe all together at lease 25,000. All I owe Capital one 1,356 dollars and they are sueing me for this ? It says I...

Served Papers About a Judgement [ 12 Answers ]

I need advice. Yesterday I was served papers about a debt with a credit card company. It is MY debt. I was young and very dumb about my credit cards. Now they are catching up to me. I am broke. I honestly don't own anything. No savings, I rent, and my car is financed. I as of right now have 19 days...

Served Papers [ 1 Answers ]

I got served papers a 30 days ago by my sons father. We currently do not have anything on paper about who has custody and have not since he was born. Our son spends 3 days a week with him and 4 days with me. I live an hour away from his father and the papers that I got served with are asking for...

View more questions Search