Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 4, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Is vista really ME II
    I have heard from several friends that Vista is being called MEII, referring to windows ME when it was released, and how 98 was more stable. Is this true in your opinion. Would some people share their experiences with Vista here. Is it worth the upgrade, are there any performance or stability gains.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 03:20 PM
    I'm not a HUGE fan of vista...

vista looks pretty cool, but in my opinion, not a whole lot of old systems can handle vista. I upgraded my 1.7 ghz, 1.5 gb ram to vista and found it running slower than xp.

I downgraded back to xp, but will be purchasing a 2.2 ghz core duo with a 3 gb ram with vista.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Correction: XP is probably an upgrade to Vista. After all, it's it's best competition.
    Aparently if you want a fast VISTA machine, you need to run it on Macintosh Hardware. You can buy it pre-installed on MAC hardware.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
    I'm running Vista right now. I'm happy with it. Tweaked it to my liking: turned of User Account Control, no widgets, customized the Start menu and Taskbar. It certainly is NOT MEII as I went through that debacle rather quickly. Looking forward to DX10 gaming as well.
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Jan 7, 2008, 10:03 PM
    I used a friend's computer who had switched from XP to Vista. I hated it. I'd take XP anyday, but thinking I'm going to need to upgrade for my husband's college computer class. If so, I'll switch back after the semester is over.
    SamAt Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 12:37 PM
    The really ME 2 thing is absurd, it's a completely different code base and represents unbelievable person years of effort. That said, it's not an automatic win over XP by any means; XP is a very mature code base now which translates to less horsepower required and broad support by vendors. Vista requires much more power to run well so I would think hard before upgrading anything but fast hardware; there is a Vista upgrade analysis tool available on the Microsoft site.

I use both 64 bit Vista and 32 bit XP at home and Windows 2003 server at work. There are a few things, though not many, that simply don't work in my Vista install (but 64 bit complicates that more than just Vista). To a power user the don't run in administrator mode is annoying and I frankly disable it immediately, but it makes sense for the casual user who might expose themselves to something dangerous.

I love the auto-defragmentation feature and the new performance and diagnostics tools built in. The networking configuration features are significantly improved as well.

For laptops the handwriting recognition improvement in Vista is very noticeable and definitely worth a look.

To sum up: few people rave about it as a huge improvement and it needs speed so I would in most cases not upgrade but wait until your next computer comes with it (or like me you build your next.) Also worth noting: the first service pack is almost out and that will likely smooth out some of the bumps.

Seattle area geek.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Vista is the new kid on the block --- it takes lots of resources -- is not compatible

With all software -- most try to adjust to work with M$ -- just takes time

They shuffled the deck and things are not where they used to be...

When XP first came out there were many who hated it -- hotfixed to work
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 12, 2008, 05:29 PM
    I personally refused to use xp until sp 2 came out. I used windows 2000 until about 2003
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Just got a new dell. Came with vista. I can install xp on it... but it's such a hassle. Also, I have a feeling that in about 5 years, people are going to be like YOU STILL USING XP? Like how I ask my grandparents YOU STILL USE WINDOWS 95? I can see it happening. It's innovative... it's purty. I'll learn to like it.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 10:59 PM
    I have a fast computer with lots of memory and Windows Vista 32 bit. I am VERY happy with it, and have been for 5 months now. My previous computer came with Windows Me, and I loved it, too! Hahaha! I have used systems that upgraded to these programs, and I just think they are more trouble that they are worth. In my opinion, if it's factory installed into a computer capable of handling it, it's a great OS and I personally would recommend it.

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting used to Vista [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to see more on this. My daughter has a new computer and doesn’t like Vista and complains about it. I would like to be able to offer her some suggestions. Ways to get used to it, or some more information on how to reinstall windows XP would be very helpful.

The new vista window [ 5 Answers ]

How do I us this new window vista:confused: This window is a pain:mad: I'm use to the window xp,:cool: where the window's don't freeze,:eek: and you don't have to give permission for every thing you add. Im told there are a few kinks has to be work out::(. Im all eyes, how I'm I suppose to...

Using vista on XP [ 14 Answers ]

HI, I wanted to know whether I can use Vista ultimate on my system which is currently running XP SP2. If yes then how do I switch between two OS.

XP to Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Ok This is the situation Old Computer - Windows XP Home OE6 New Computer - Windows Vista - Microsoft Mail I saved all of the .dbx in OE6 (Including Folders.dbx) -I put all of the .dbx's on a CD-R disk -Copied Them To A Folder In Documents On Vista -I Ensure that the files are not read...

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

View more questions Search