Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsquared Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Snowblower won't start, made bad noise using electric, pull cord now hard to pull.
    I tried to start my snowblower today and it wouldn't start. I decided to try the electric start, plugged it in, hit the start button and all it made was a spinny grinding noise. Unplugged it, and tried to start it manually with pull cord again. The cord would not pull without lots of effort and same grinding noise while spinning could be heard when it does move. Now pull cord barely pulls out at all. What did I do??
    lawnman14 Posts: 37, Reputation: 0

Jan 8, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsquared
    I tried to start my snowblower today and it wouldnt start. I decided to try the electric start, plugged it in, hit the start button and all it made was a spinny grinding noise. Unplugged it, and tried to start it manually with pull cord again. The cord would not pull without lots of effort and same grinding noise while spinning could be heard when it does move. Now pull cord barely pulls out at all. What did i do?!?!
    It may need oil to lubricate the pistion(s)
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Before you ever start your snowblower you should always check your oil. Does it have oil? When was the last time you changed your oil? You should change your oil once a year before snow fall. When you check your oil touch it with your fingers and feal it. Does it feal gritty? If so you way have seized your engine. You starer motor might not be working or that the teeth are grinded. You should check all this things and get back to me and I will see is your engine is gone. When you change the oils see if you can pull the cord with less ease but don't pull it to hard. This will give you a good sine if it does. I look forward to hear back from you.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsquared
    I tried to start my snowblower today and it wouldnt start. I decided to try the electric start, plugged it in, hit the start button and all it made was a spinny grinding noise. Unplugged it, and tried to start it manually with pull cord again. The cord would not pull without lots of effort and same grinding noise while spinning could be heard when it does move. Now pull cord barely pulls out at all. What did i do?!?!
    It actually sounds to me as if the starter has perhaps gotten hung up on the flywheel/ringgear and is preventing the cord from being used. Check to be sure this isn't the case and also address the possibility that the engine is seized.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    It actually sounds to me as if the starter has perhaps gotten hung up on the flywheel/ringgear and is preventing the cord from being used. Check to be sure this isn't the case and also address the possibility that the engine is seized.
    Yep.

Jan 22, 2008, 10:16 AM
    My friend works with these problems all the time he says to diconnect all elactrical power to all parts of blower and take of headers and check all interior parts for dirt or signs of jamming but first check the starter for the electric start.

Jan 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
    My friend works with tese problems allthe time he said to check for dirt or signs of jamming in cylinders but chaeck the starter first that might be shot or the fly wheel gears might be grinding down
    annebischoff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 04:41 PM
    I tried to start my craftsman snow thrower model 536.881501. It was turning over but would not start. Tried several times with electric start. Now when I press the electric start it is making a horrible grinding noise and does nothing. What do I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

Pull Start Cord will not retract [ 1 Answers ]

The last time I started my mower, the cord did not retract. Is there an easy way to get it to retract? Or should I take it to a repair shop?

How to fix a Pull start, Won't pull out! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 49cc Mini Dirt Bike. It has a pull start engine, just like a lawn mower. However, I went to pull the cord as usual, and the cord just won't pull out! I don't know what it is, but I try and pull it as hard as I can, and it only comes out about 4 inches! I need help! Thanks!:)

View more questions Search