Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnbender Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2008, 12:07 PM
    I hired a really good attorney.
    I conducted myself well in the appointment, and he was nothing but an {deleted}. I have hired him though, and he costed a total of $1262.50 including GST. That wasn't why he was a {deleted}, I don't think I conducted myself well, but lawyers aren't supposed to be that judgemental. BUT he told me he could get this done, which is good. My impression is most lawyers can be this way.

I have posted a topic before, but I just wanted to post an update on the attorney with new questions. In case you don't know, I was arrested for stealing a DVD worth 25 dollars.

So the new questions are...

- Is that too much?
    - With paying that much, am I pretty much ensured to get this cleared off my record? (first ever offense)
    - If he was a {deleted} to me, and seemingly he didn't like me... Is that a sign that he won't do what he has to do to get me cleared?
    - What are the odds of me paying additional charges?

I'm from Ontario, Canada.

Thanks in advance
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2008, 12:31 PM
    As for the cost, I don't think it out of line. As for your assurances, there are none. No one can predict exactly what a judge will do.

I think having an attorney to deal with your problem greatly increased your chances of getting off without a blemish on your record. Your attorney doesn't have to like you to do a good kob for you.

Jan 4, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Thanks.. your response did help a lot.

PS. I apologize for the cuss words.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 03:24 PM
    That is fairly low cost actually for an attorney and appearing in court. Many attorneys would charge a lot more.

No attorney can be for sure on what will happen.

An attorney does not have to like you, in fact you should let them know exactly what happened, let them know if you are really guilty ornot, not lies to them, They may despise you as a person but will do their job to get you off.

Jan 4, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Oh I didn't lie one bit. He asked why I did it and I simply said, I thought I wouldn't get caught... I simply wasn't thinking.

This guy is good though.. He mentioned him being 90 of 37,000 in some special category.. I forget, he's also been a lawyer for 30+ years. He was just mad about me not having the full money up front, but I'm going to give him the rest of the money next payday. Basically this guy has every good credential, except he seems stuck up... Which can be good.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbender
    he seems stuck up
    And what if the roles were reversed, if you were the successful lawyer with 30+ years of experience and he were you? Would you have been real nice and understanding to him?

Jan 4, 2008, 06:00 PM
    I would definitely recognize that I've seen every kind of person to have the ability to deal with the average bear... lol.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
    And he did accept you as a client and charged you a better-than-fair amount.

Jan 4, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Once I give him the rest of the money next Thursday, he'll love me.
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 06:25 PM
    An attorney and client don't have to like each other, I spent a lot of time with my attorney today, I was surprised that at some points they did not throw me out, ( guess they still like those checks I write them) They do me a great job and understand I like things a certain way. I am not going there to make a good friend, but to get them to do certain things for me in court.

Jan 4, 2008, 06:28 PM
    I was just worried that he simply wouldn't give a damn about the case as opposed to if he actually did like me.
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
    I would not worry about that,

Jan 4, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Now I'm not... You guys are truly excellent.

Jan 13, 2008, 10:46 PM
    A little update..

I recently had a second meeting with my lawyer... He said I was referred to diversion where I have to pay $100 to a charity. If I have this by my court date in 2 weeks, he is 99% sure I'll be clean (considering he can't say 100% for anything). My life is much better now, considering I'm pretty deep in the hole financially after this really sucks, but I'll get back on my feet completely come next month.

So to shoplifters out there... I'll say this now... HIRE AN ATTORNEY!
    shimmycocopuffs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 04:19 AM
    johnbender, is it possible if I could contact this attorney of yours?

I am pretty much under the same situations. First offense yadayada yada... stupid of me. I don't know what to do...

Send me a pm.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbender
    A little update..

I recently had a second meeting with my lawyer... He said I was referred to diversion where I have to pay $100 to a charity. If I have this by my court date in 2 weeks, he is 99% sure I'll be clean (considering he can't say 100% for anything). My life is much better now, considering I'm pretty deep in the hole financially after this really sucks, but I'll get back on my feet completely come next month.

So to shoplifters out there... I'll say this now... HIRE AN ATTORNEY!

Hmm - now I see your Attorney's concern. All you learned from this is to hire an Attorney if you get caught, you didn't learn not to shoplift? Trust you are being flip here -

(Where I am Attorneys are charging $750 per Court appearance and $250 an hour for behind the scenes so you may have gotten away "cheap." I am surprised that Attorneys straight out of law school who probably can't find the Courthouse by themselves are charging the same as Attorneys with a number of years of experience. You have to sort of pick. Same with hiring an Attorney who specializes - your odds of success are much better.)

Jan 17, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Hmm - now I see your Attorney's concern. All you learned from this is to hire an Attorney if you get caught, you didn't learn not to shoplift? Trust you are being flip here -

(Where I am Attorneys are charging $750 per Court appearance and $250 an hour for behind the scenes so you may have gotten away "cheap." I am surprised that Attorneys straight out of law school who probably can't find the Courthouse by themselves are charging the same as Attorneys with a number of years of experience. You have to sort of pick and choose. Same with hiring an Attorney who specializes - your odds of success are much better.)
    Oh no no no... I learned that an attorney is VERY expensive which makes me not want to do it again... I'm actually insulted that you say I haven't learned from this when it's been hanging over my head for nearly 2 months now.

All I was saying was that people post theft under 5000 threads 20 times a day... I was just posting THAT to tell them the best way out.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 04:37 PM
    I'd say your attorney has to put on his little act... you are paying for the image that he portrays as well as any actual services. If you had only brought half the money up front, it probably was an insult to him. He has a life style to pay for as well and probably doesn't want to have to resort to shoplifting to do it. Instead, his tactic will be charging those prices and giving you plenty of attitude to go along with it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 05:05 PM
    I agree, his Cadillac or Porsche payment must have needed paying, or yacht needed more teak varnish. Sometimes when you deal with attorneys who have been in business 30 years you'll have to shell out the bucks with both hands. You should have shopped around for an attorney who does criminal law and was only in business for less than 5 years. Too late now to do that, but hopefully there will not be a second time for you.

Criminal law is not that complicated for a shotlifting charge to handle. It's not like you took $50,000 in merchandise. I think you definitely got what you paid for with his attitude and I'm surprised he didn't charge you more as he condescended to take your case in the first place. Gosh, that was a very expensive DVD, wasn't it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Ranger starter good, battery good What else? [ 36 Answers ]

I have a '92 Ranger that won't start it just clicks one time. I thought it was the starter but it is good. I changed the battery terminals and that fixed one problem now it clicks until you turn the key off. I can't figure it out any advise? Thanks.

How to find a good attorney? [ 3 Answers ]

What should be my line of questioning so that I may find a great attorney in my consultations in NYC.

36 weeks pregnant, EX-BF hired lawyer.. [ 1 Answers ]

good evening, all! i am new to this forum, so be nice! i am 9 months (36 weeks) pregnant, and recently broke up with the baby's father, "jack". in my opinion he is a selfish a$$hole who doesn't think about anyone besides himself, and it took me about two years to figure this out. guess i'm a...

Good Real Estate Attorney in FL? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a good RE Attorney or firm that regularly handles tax sale property purchases and deed transfers etc. in Miami-Dade county. I have been reading the forum for a while - you all sound very experienced in the area of RE law and hope you can point...

View more questions Search