Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wgomon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Window removal and replace with a wall
    I need to remove a large old style wooden sash window and want to fill it in to use as wall space. It is in the front wall of the house. How to I tell if it is weight bearing wall or doesn't it make any difference? And would all I need to do is build a frame and then put studs in?
    clanmac Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Jan 4, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Firstly a window is never load bearing as the opening would sag or collapse, once you have removed the window you have to frame in the opening using either 2x4 or 2x6. Next you face of on the outside using plywood, face that off with building paper or as I prefer to use -tar paper that is used on your roof as I find it breathes better than building paper. Next follow up with brick on the outside, on the inside you have to put insulation in between each of the studs which are normally on a 16 inch centre. Though that could be changed depending on the width of your opening, once you have the insulation in the wall you now have to put on a layer of 6mm plastic and tape your edges with red tuck tape. Drywall is the next step, if you are still not sure you can Google for information on the web or visit your nearest Homedepot or Lowe's and be sure to make sure the member of staff you talk too knows what the hell he is talking about. Hope this helps you in some way, keep us informed on how you make out.
    MEDaley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2014, 08:08 AM
    This is very helpful, but just regular bricks? How do I stick them to the tar paper?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 08:37 AM
    @Daley. 'How do I stick (the bricks) to the tar paper ?'

You are kidding. Right ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace garage door with wall? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a small one car garage that is part of the basement. I want to remove the garage door and put in a wall with a door so that I can use this area as a workshop and as the primary entrance into the house during the winter. The other entrances are either up the steep driveway to the...

Wall Hung Sink Repair/Replace [ 6 Answers ]

I am a Landlord. I have a turn over that the bathroom sink was, sat on, leaned on, stood on. So what I have is the sink tilted down and pulled away from the wall. The caulking is hanging in mid air. To repair this? 1. I try tightening the bolts providing I can find them and there are bolts. ...

Can I replace glass for pilot light window? [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older Coleman wall Natural Gas heater. The glass is missing where you can look at the pilot light (some foil has been stuck in there). Is there a certain type of glass we can put in there? We are selling our house and the inspector said to replace it.

How much does it cost to tear down/replace a wall? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to knock down two walls from the kitchen to create a "great room" effect. I would like to join the living, dining and kitchen together but a friend advises that just this portion of the project will run well into 50k, which is my budget for remodeling the entire house! Does drywall,...

Window A/C into Wall A/C space? [ 3 Answers ]

Our wall A/C compressor died, so we're replacing the whole unit. Do you recommend putting a Window A/C into the slot, if it fits... and of course cover any openings with foam, then duct-tape? We did that last time... and the one now defunct did last 6 years... in AZ. But, would one MADE as a...

View more questions Search