Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chriswms Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Electric Heater Blows Cool
    I am having problems with my central heat. When I turn it on and let it run it continues to only blow cool air. When I turn on the emergency heat the air coming out of the vents only gets a little bit warmer. Also I keep reading that the big line is supposed to be warm to the touch but mine is cool as well? It's a trane setup. Outside unit is "High efficiency weathertron heat pump XE1100" inside unit model number is TWG042A140A0. I am pretty sure the T stat is working properly because I can hear the unit make a noise when I put it to emergency heat? Any help or suggestions as to what could be wrong would be great. Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Check the circuit breakers OR fuses on the outside unit. Check the circuit breakers on the main panel.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with the outside unit. Check all low voltage wires going to the unit for damage.

The inside emergency heat is either to small or some of the heat strips are not working. You should probably check those also.

If you are not experienced in electric and do not have a meter I suggest calling for professional service before you freeze because during this time of the year the HVAC companies could be back logged.

Jan 4, 2008, 12:49 PM
    I don't know a whole lot about the a/c units just enough to get me in trouble. Electric work isn't a prob. When the air conditioner was on prob about a month ago the outside unit was working? Or is it a whole different aspect of the unit that may be wrong with the heat side?

Jan 4, 2008, 12:56 PM
    One more thing. Is the outside unit supposed to come on in heat mode? Reason I'm asking is because I have never paid attention to whether it does or not and at the moment it isn't? Just curious. Thanks

Jan 4, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Heat pump is supposed to run in the winter.

Jan 4, 2008, 01:07 PM
    So that would be a reason as to why I have very little heat? Because the outside unit is not running at all.

Jan 4, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Yes

Jan 4, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Ok guess ill have to take it from there. All elec. Is good. It may be something to do with the thermostat then I guess everything else including a/c has worked fine with it though. I'll tinker around and see if I can figure out if I wired it wrong when I put it in. Sorry for being an idiot at this subject but thanks for the help.

Jan 4, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Ok. I have come to the conclusion that I have miswired my t-stat in some way and maybe you or someone can help me. Worth a try I guess as to what each of the wires may go to not how they connect up on the tstat I can figure that part out. Here goes. In my inside unit I have 6 wires for the unit (3 white, 1green, 1 blue, 1red) tstat wires(white, green, blue, red, black, orange, yellow, brown) inside tstat wires that loop directly to outside tstat wires (orange, yellow, brown) Both inside and outside white tstat wires conect to all three white wires coming from unit. Both reds connect to red coming from unit. Boh blues connect to blue wire coming from unit. Only outside green is connected to green coming from unit. Both black wires and inside green wire are not used or connected to anything. Thanks for the help if possible

Jan 4, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Messed up. Actually its only inside tstat green is connected to green coming from inside unit. Not the outside tstat. Iunderstand that the green is for the fan. The red is the 24v. Power. The rest I'm clueless on.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 05:57 PM
    White- W2, Blue-common,Red-R, orange-O,Green-G,Yellow-Y. If you hook it up that way it should give you heat. If you changed out the T-stat, you did buy a Heatpump thermostat?

Jan 4, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Correct it is a heat pump thermostat a ritetemp 8082c which I came to found out many people don't like it but that's beside the point. F that is how the wiring needs to be there was no error in my wiring other than the blue wire wasn't hooked up to the tstat at all. The rest were hooked up accordingly. Thank you for the reply. Any other suggestions?

Jan 4, 2008, 06:37 PM
    The outside unit kicks on when in a/c mode. Should I put a jumper from the O to B or maybe try swaping the actual wire from the O to B? It says that the O is for the changeover in cool and the B is for the changeover in Heat. Is that why the outside unit only comes on when the a/c is on and not when the heat is on? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:45 PM
    O and B is for the reversing valve, the unit will run with or with out those wires. Make sure the thermostat is set up for heatpump and not heat/cool, with a lot of the newer thermostat you have to do this set up with it. If it runs in cooling it should run in heat after you set it up for heat pump.

Jan 4, 2008, 06:55 PM
    OK. On the back of the tsta it has a switch for normal and pump. It is set to pump. Jumpers for electric or gas witch it is set for electric and a temperature differential jumper setting of 2,3, or 4 degrees which it is set to 2 degrees. Don't really know what else to check. All I know is the outside unit does not come on. And the big line which I have read in other posts is supposed to be warm and mine is cool-cold as well is the small one.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:03 PM
    When you say it kicks on in a/c mode. It only runs when you switch the T-stat to cooling or the outside unit will run when you switch the T-stat to heat but in cooling mode.

Jan 4, 2008, 07:05 PM
    When I turn the stat to cool and run it to cool the house off, the outside unit will come on. When the stat is put to heat the outside unit never comes on. And it just blows cool air. Not as cold as when the stat is set to cool but not warm enough to call it heat either.

Jan 4, 2008, 07:06 PM
    The stat also has an auto mode but have never used that. I assumed that to be where it swapped between heat and cool to keep the house at whatever temp I set it to.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:19 PM
    It's the T-stat. If it will run in cooling and not heating it's the wrong stat or set up wrong. It only takes 2 wires to make the unit run Y and C. If you take a jumper wire and jump R to Y at the thermostat or fan coil unit in the attic will the lines get hot?

Jan 4, 2008, 07:27 PM
    I can try that right now I have red wire to RH with jumper to RC... yellow wire to Y with jumper to W... white wire to w2... blue to C... orange to O... green to G... you want me to undo all except C And Y and then jump Y to W?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New ac with heat strip blows out cool air. [ 5 Answers ]

I recently (8 months)had a Fedders Ac System installed with a heat strip, but the heat does not seem to work properly. It blows out cool air and takes for ever to warm the house. The contractor has since moved to Dubai so I cannot get in touch with him. Is there anything I can check myself ?...

Gas furnace lights, goes off after a minute or so, then blows cool air [ 6 Answers ]

We just noticed this problem today, on the coldest day it has been this winter. Don't know if the cold has anything to do with this issue or not, but I don't think so after reading through the forum. The problem appears to be that our furnace (about 15-20 years old, Magic Chef/Comfortmaker Ultra II...

My furnace only blows cool air [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a townhouse, and last weekend the furnace worked fine. Now, all that I get out of the registers is cool air. The furnace ran almost all night, but no warm air at all. What might the problem be?

Furnace blows cool air [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is a bryant model-cacf030aza 5yrs old, natural gas,forced air the problem is that the air coming out of vents is cool air , we have central air, but we made sure that the thermostat was set to heat. In the furnace we do not see any fire at all. It is on and it blows but the air is cool...

Furnace blows cool air [ 4 Answers ]

We have a ducane gas furnace that has blown cool air ever since it was installed, which has been for at least 5 years now. The past owner of this house has covered the only cold air return in our living room floor and we have since opened or created a cold air return in the basement for the time...

View more questions Search