Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koko5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 08:14 AM
    Commercial sewer auger
    I would like to know how difficult it is to use a (rental) commercial sewer auger to clear a pipe that runs from the house (actually, from a clean-out installed when this was done several years ago by a professional "rotorooter") to the septic tank (which was pumped three weeks ago). I have had this done about every 4 years by a professional but because of the expense, I am considering doing it myself with a rental unit. The run to be cleaned is not long - only about 30 feet, but the pipes are clay and I know from the prior times this has been done that tree roots are often the problem. Would appreciate any advice on this problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2006, 08:33 AM
    See if any other DIY's have tried one. I was very happy with a hand powered one I rented from Home Depot. For $20, I got a drinking fountain drain cleared at my church myself. You will need a heavier, powered one. Go for it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 1, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by koko5
    I would like to know how difficult it is to use a (rental) commercial sewer auger to clear a pipe that runs from the house (actually, from a clean-out installed when this was done several years ago by a profesional "rotorooter") to the septic tank (which was pumped three weeks ago). I have had this done about every 4 years by a professional but because of the expense, I am considering doing it my self with a rental unit. The run to be cleaned is not long - only about 30 feet, but the pipes are clay and I know from the prior times this has been done that tree roots are often the problem. Would appreciate any advice on this problem.

Head down to your local rent-All and rent a Ridgid K-60 or equivalent sewer machine ask for a cutter tip, a spade tip and a auger tip. Usethe cutter tip to clear the roots and the auger tip to bring them back. You have now cleared the sewer line. To keep those roots out RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Let me say that sooner or later you're going to have to bite the bullet and replace that old sewer line with PVC. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial diving. [ 7 Answers ]

Will someone tell me about how much the pay can range between in the commercial diving field?

Recent BMW commercial [ 1 Answers ]

I've been looking around on the web for the title or artist who performed the song currently used in a recent BMW commercial. The song may be called something like "Take me for a ride, ride" and it's definitely been around for some time. My wife is familiar w/ the song from a number of years ago....

Help with song in commercial [ 4 Answers ]

This was about a year ago, but it was a song in a car commercial- US commercial- They (husband wife and kids) are in their car- it was a compact car- and they drive slow through a very nice subdivision- I do rememebr seeing a swingset in the commercial in someone's yard (that might help ring a...

Song on a commercial [ 5 Answers ]

There is a song that is sung by a woman on a commercial. The commercial is for a woman's product like shaving or something. Anyway it goes something like... "And its alright and its going strong. We're going to get right back where we started from. Love is good, love could be wrong, we're going...

View more questions Search