Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labor Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Splicing into 240v line
    I would like to wire an electric baseboard heater and 4 can lights on the same 15 amp circuit. The total load would be about 140 watts under the 80% allowed for the circuit. The heater, which will require 1000 watts, requires 240v hookup. So my question is this, can I safely spice into the 240 line to power the 120v can lights on the same circuit or do I need to run a separate circuit for the lights and a separate circuit for the heater? Obviously, the white and black in the 240v line will be hot, so, if it is permissible to splice into one of the hot legs of the 240v line to power the lights, I don't know what I would do with the neutral going to the switch for the lights.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 08:31 AM
    You cannot tap off a 240 for 120 volts, also the hot needs to go to switch, not the neutral.

Jan 4, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    You cannot tap off a 240 for 120 volts, also the hot needs to go to switch, not the neutral.

Thanks Strat, that's what I needed to know.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 08:39 AM
    4 - 60 watt bulbs = 240 watts, about 2 amps. The Heater draws 4.166 Amps.
    1000/240=4.16666

Jan 4, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    4 - 60 watt bulbs = 240 watts, about 2 amps. the Heater draws 4.166 Amps.
    1000/240=4.16666
    I need to figure out the smallest double pole breaker I can use for a 240v circuit powering 2 separate 1000 watt electric baseboard heaters, while still staying within the parameters of the 80% rule. I believe the answer is that I will need a double pole 15 amp breaker. 10 amps would do it, but would run afoul of the 80% rule. Am I correct on this? If so, I will have some left over space on this circuit. Can I run it to an exterior 120/240 combo receptacle?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 10:15 AM
    The current draw of 2000 watts at 240 volts = 8.3 amps x 125% = 10.41 amps is minimum size circuit rating.

The breaker may be the next standard size, which is a 15 amp breaker.

Jan 4, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The current draw of 2000 watts at 240 volts = 8.3 amps x 125% = 10.41 amps is minimum size circuit rating.

The breaker may be the next standard size, which is a 15 amp breaker.
    Thanks TK. One follow up, I don't understand why you multiplied 125% by 8.3 amps. In any event, my plan is to go with a 15 amp double pole breaker. Thanks again. Ryan

Jan 4, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Labor
    Thanks TK. One follow up, I don't understand why you multiplied 125% by 8.3 amps. In any event, my plan is to go with a 15 amp double pole breaker. Thanks again. Ryan
    I think I figured out the answer to my own question. 8.3 amps must be 80% or less than the total load carried by the circuit. To determine the minimum number of amps needed for 8.3 amps to constitute 80% of the total load, 8.3 amps is multiplied by 125% = 10.41. In other words, 80% of 10.41 amps is 8.3 amps. Can someone confirm if this is correct?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 01:29 PM
    The 80% rule is actually for calculating the max load that should be connected to an overcurrent protection device,a circuit rating is calculated by increasing the load by 25% to size the circuit, which is what I did for your heat load.

The 80 % rule only applies to breakers, fuses, and switchgear for certain loads, definitely for electric heating circuits, and load that will run 3 hours or more, which is considered continuous.

Certain loads that do not run continuous can load a OCPD 100%.

The old rule applied 80% to all OCPD for any load. That has been changed a few years ago.

Many times, an older electrician like myself will still apply 80% to all OCPD, as with someone like myself only does commercial and industrial, where most everything runs continuously, so we just apply 80% to all breakers, fuses, and switchgear.

It is an older rule that is embedded in older tradesmen. Just nowadays, to be accurate and factual with younger electricians, and DIY'ers, best to do both calcs.

The 125% rating to size a circuit is still the same as it ever was. Sometimes it works both ways, sometimes it does not work for both circuit ratings and OCPD, so best to do both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

240v heat & 120 outlet on same line? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I have a 240v convection heater with no 120v features (fan, timer etc). I have a dedicated run of 12/3 wg available. Is there any way to use that spare 3rd wire to provide a couple 120 v outlets? Thanks, Taylorsk

Splicing for source [ 4 Answers ]

I'm planning to add a new switch for recess lighting. I've located the hot source for the switch not too far on the same wall where the switch will be. If I cut up the wall where the source is and then just do a 3 ways splice using wire nuts and then close the wall, is this sufficient? I know...

Splicing off a Circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Last year we installed an above ground pool and pump. I installed a GFI outlet outside by splicing through an outlet inside a bedroom. All is well and fine. Well, I bought my wife a above the stove microwave. When it runs, it blows the circuit, it's on the same one as the pool pump. I traced...

Cable splicing [ 2 Answers ]

Does the code allows splicing inside the panel board?

Can an open ground reading on a grounded circuit mean a 240V line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, folks - wondering if someone can help me out. I'm getting an "open ground" reading on a wall outlet which is being fed by 12/2-grounded romex cable. The cable is grounded at the panel, so I'm not sure why I should be getting an open ground reading. This line is for an electric baseboard...

View more questions Search