Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Jan 4, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Anyone willing to send me newspaper addresses?
    Good morning -

I've recently found out that a book I'd had published as an electronic book since 1999 is going to come out as a paperback in February 2008. Unfortunately, although my publisher is putting it onto Amazon.com and will be offering it as a print on demand from their own web site, they don't have a publicist, so advertising the book is entirely up to me.

I've sent emails to all the newspapers in my home state of Maine, but am having a hard time finding such information for other states, so I'm kind of at a stand still without a little "networking" help. Would the readers at this site mind looking into the contacts portion of your local newspapers and giving me email or snail mail addresses where I can send press releases?

(Advertising removed.)

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help out!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 11:56 AM
    If you put the name of the state and then the word newspapers, you will find lots of links where you will be able to obtain email addresses. For example, the following Illinois Newspapers - Google Search

I did need to remove your promoting of your book here, because that was advertising within the post that you made. Please see the Posting Rules on the following link if you would like more information concerning that. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.ph...#faq_faq_rules
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Cincinnati.Com: Customer Service
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 12:18 PM
    You can try here

Staff : News : Commercial Appeal

OR here

Nashville - Tennessean.com - Middle Tennessee Customer Services
    nkychic Posts: 180, Reputation: 70

Jan 12, 2008, 09:30 AM
    If you go to the following link, you can change the city and state (next to where it says "add your business") as many times as needed to get local advertising contact information from each. Good luck and I hope I've been of some help...

Cincinnati Advertising Newspaper | Cincinnati Newspaper Ads

<3 Leslie

Jan 21, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    If you put the name of the state and then the word newspapers, you will find lots of links where you will be able to obtain email addresses. For example, the following Illinois Newspapers - Google Search

I did need to remove your promoting of your book here, because that was advertising within the post that you made. Please see the Posting Rules on the following link if you would like more information concerning that. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.ph...#faq_faq_rules
    I've been trying to tell you thank you for the link - and for reminding me of the "rule" about promoting - *blushing because I forgot all about it in the excitement* - but the site kept telling me I had to "spread the reputation around" instead of just being able to rate your answer... *shrugging because I thought I'd been doing that on other questions*

If you don't see the story in your local paper, it's because some are sticklers about you having a "local tie" to the area before they'll print a news release. At least all the ones who've released it in Maine have ended up on a news site for truck drivers, so THEY can be passing the news across country word-of-mouth! (I know several truckers... lol)
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 28, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Don't forget about joining a lot of on-line writers groups. They frequently have information on promoting your work, how to schedule "blog book tours," how/where to get your book reviewed so more people see it and then want to order it from Amazon.

MySpace has about 6 book groups, including one specifically to promote your work; so does Gather.com.

Put the ordering information in your tagline for email.

Personally visit all the local bookstores (even if they are part of a chain) and meet with the promotional manager about doing a book-signing. Same thing with gift shops that carry books. Go every place you can set up a table and sell/sign books including farmer's markets, craft shows and local festivals.

Join your state Writers Association, and any local ones---check on line to see if there is a national organization for your genre and join that.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 02:49 PM
    You could try some of these ideas to
    Advertise in classified section of magazines post-gazetteNOW - Contact Us
    And local papers Pittsburgh City Paper - Pittsburgh
    College papers

Flea markets and church bizarres usually have tables under $15.00 for a space
    Have cards/fliers printed up as well as a table with some to sell.
    Check to see if they allow you to do a contest drawing for someone to win a free one.

Some stores have bulletin boards you can place your ads on
    jessb Posts: 290, Reputation: 51

Mar 4, 2008, 03:29 AM
    phillyBurbs.com | Advertise

phillyBurbs.com | About Us -- Address, I used to work for this one.. the Intelligencer

These are some of the papers that run out of philadelphia, and the surrounding counties..
    Hope I sent you the right link:)

Mar 12, 2008, 08:38 AM
    WOW! Thanks to everyone for the great answers, links, etc. I've been following through on them all, and am having some interesting results. (By that, I mean the books are running through my hands like water - and I've barely begun "making the rounds"!)

Although the official release was February 22nd, Amazon posted the advanced copies in late November - and the report from my publisher is that there were already 8 copies sold in January and February before it was briefly taken back down to get the final (fully corrected) edition up and running. All the bookstores I've stopped into so far have taken promotional copies (+ none have called to return them), and I'll be going to another local city this weekend with the newest batch of promo copies. (I actually ran out with the first run before I'd been to all the bookstores in the first city!) Every bookstore has mentioned seeing the press release!

So as advice to anyone coming on this question who wants to sell books, here are the steps I advise:

1) Start searching for publishers as soon as you finish your book - and don't forget about the ebook publishers. (Mine was an ebook for 8 years before I got the paperback deal.)

2) Once the contract is in place, ADVERTISE EVERYWHERE! (My publisher took care of the ebook publishing, which went VERY slow. My more aggressive advertising - including the My Space groups suggested by Wynelle - has generated immense interest.)

3) Tell EVERYONE you know about it! I told some friends who told some friends - who've been calling the bookstores and libraries. I've also been allowed to tell customers at my workplace, and the ones who don't have access to Amazon are talking to me to place orders if they can't get it through a bookstore.

4) Above all, NEVER give up hope! I may never make as much as Stephen King, but even the small royalty checks are a nice little boost to the ego in these trying financial times... *grin*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What should I say in the thank you letter for the newspaper? [ 2 Answers ]

I need help writing a thank you letter to everyone, for all their help and support after my Daughters death.

Newspaper divorce [ 4 Answers ]

Could you please tell me exactually how I go about getting a divorce by running an ad in the paper?

Newspaper ad [ 2 Answers ]

How do I place an newspaper ad to divorce my husband when all I know is that he's in Texas?

Divorce ad in the newspaper [ 3 Answers ]

Can I place an ad in the paper to get a divorce since I don't know the whereabouts of my husband? If so, how much will it cost me and can I do it on my own or do I need a lawyer?:confused:

Newspaper Ads [ 2 Answers ]

Is it okay to put the owner of a business owners' name on the ad? If you are looking for info from the public, can you place an ad requesting info for "John Doe" who works in cement or such and place the ad in the newspaper under the appropriate section such as construction?? If you have the...

View more questions Search