Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biglou75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 04:12 PM
    92 honda civic not starting
    The car turns over fine but has no spark or fuel. I have checked the fuel pump, the FI relay, ICM, and replaced the ignition switch. I have looked for broken ground wires in the harness and found none. The car has not been modified (no after market stereo). Bought from original owner. The car sat for 3 years unused. It ran well for 3 month's but then occasionally there would be a small delay before the fuel pump would kick in. Now the car turns over fine but there is no spark or fuel. What other possibilities is there for my lose of spark and fuel?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 31, 2005, 10:34 PM
    What error codes are you getting? Check another post in this forum for information on how to read error codes on 92-95 civics.

The car obviously sat unused for too long. You should give it a tuneup. But first, read the error codes.

If you're not getting spark, run the tests given in the FAQ on ignition coil and igniter unit. Measure resistance on spark plug wires. Buy new spark plugs.

If you're not getting fuel, listen for the fuel pump humming sound. If you don't hear it, take out your main relay, open it, resolder it's joints, put it back in and listen for the sound again. If there's no sound - your fuel pump might be done. If you do hear a humming sound, then smell your exhaust while someone is cranking the car. If you do smell gas - it's getting gas. If you don't smell gas, take your fuel rail out (together with fuel injectors) and point it to something that will not ignite the gas, and have someone crank the car while you see if injectors are squirting gas. If they're not, you might have a clogged fuel filter or clogged injectors. Replace your fuel filter.

Also, it would be a good idea to drain all gas that is left in the tank, since after 3 years it's rubbish anyway, and pour some new gas in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting problem with Honda Civic [ 8 Answers ]

Honda Civic Year 94, Manual Transmission 100,000 miles The car has been giving me starting problems the last few days but it runs well once started. It stops starting if I keep the car parked for a day (it starts if I try starting it within an hour or so after I stop). It starts when I...

'91 honda civic starting problems [ 18 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

91 Honda Civic DX Starting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My honda civic dx has a hard time starting sometimes. This only happens occasionally but it'll turn over, but just won't ever start. It happened first about a month ago and is happening once a day now. I replaced the spark plugs and I don't know what else to do.

Honda-civic-96 trouble starting [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's 96 honda civic with over 100,000 miles would turn over some sluggishly when I tried to crank so I replaced battery and then car would turn over a lot but not crank for several tries and finally it cranked. I drove it down the road and up hills with no problems and pulled in drive way and...

View more questions Search