Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Dec 31, 2005, 04:11 PM
    BX Cable
    Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for cutting BX armored cable without buying a special tool? I just have to cut two wires to tap into the line but am a little afraid of damaging the wires inside. Thanks. Dave.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Dec 31, 2005, 04:47 PM
    Cutting bx
    By cutting do you mean just cutting the cable or actually removing the armor to expose the wires? A hacksaw will cut the cable. You can also cut and/or expose the wires by squeezing the cable together at a 90-degree angle. Kind of like when you squeeze a garden hose to shut the water. This will snap the armor at the bend. Hold the cable on each side of the snap, twist slightly to spread the armor and cut with sharp cutter pliers. You'll have to do this twice if you need to cut to length and then to expose wires. Bend the cut edge down and use poly anti-shorting bushing between the wire and armor. These should have been supplied with the cable but can be purchased at any home depot, etc. When removing the armor to expose wires, do not cut the thin metal grounding wire. This should be wrapped around the out side of the armor. Also, when installing the cable into the fitting only tighten the setscrew enough to hold the cable. If you screw it all the way down it is possible to break the armor and short the wires.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Jan 1, 2006, 01:42 AM
    A hack saw will cut it- cut on an angle to the cable. A pair of metal snippers will work also.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Jan 2, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Thanks. I used a hacksaw and was careful not to cut the wires.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Bending it will work. I do not recommend it. Unlike MC, BX has a very tough armor. It is quite possible to damage the wire, more so if it is older, when doing this. Honestly the hacksaw at an angle is the best method. Well actually you would be better off buying/borrowing a roto-split tool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RG6 cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am running wire for my satellite dish for my basement. There are two types of RG6 at Lowe's. RG6 and Digital RG6. What does the satellite and cable companies use. I can buy 250' of digital and 500' of the regular both for $70 I don't know what's best.

Entrance Cable [ 4 Answers ]

I am putting in a new electric service in my house and wanted to know what size wire I need for a 200 amp service

Cable Modem [ 8 Answers ]

Can a cable modem be connected to any wall jack that a TV works in any room? Or does the Cable modem need to be isolated back to the coax coming in from the street and a special splitter needed. Thanks

SER Cable [ 1 Answers ]

Is SER cable (0,0,0,2) direct bury, or must it be in conduit?

Cat 5 cable question? [ 13 Answers ]

Ok... I recently have made a lot of changes to my home. The house had NO phone wires except 1 jack. I added all new phone wires using cat 5 cable. I was told this was the best way. Well, I also want to be able to network all the rooms so that they have internet running from my dsl modem to router...

View more questions Search