Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desperatemom19 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 03:08 PM
    Right to have attorney appointed
    In virginia is it true that you are to receive council appointed by the court within 72hrs?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 04:34 PM
    Attorney
    If you are charged with a crime and cannot afford one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2005, 05:01 PM
    Attorney
    Actually that is not completely true about not afford one and they will be appointed.

I am sorry I am not up on VA law but I doubt if they are appointed within so many hours of arrest. It is much more likely they may have to have a hearing to see if they will appoint one but again, contact the public defenders office in your county and they can advise you.

In many states people arrested on misdemeanors under city ordinaces may not get an attorney appointed. Also a person who may be able to have grandma put up her house, can not get one. ( they view them as being able to afford one, although that is not true) So often the court will have to have a hearing to decide if you qualify for a free attorney or not.

You may often get a public defender to be present at your initial hearing but they are merely there to see your rights are not violated.

Also while I respect dearly those people who work in public defenders office, don't expect it to work like on TV, often you seldom get the same attorney at the hearing that you may talk to, often they visit with you about 1/2 hour before you go before the judge for your case.

But if you believe someone should be getting an attorney, contact the public defender office to inquire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not using an attorney, need advice. [ 4 Answers ]

I plan on completing the divorce process myself. We have only been married for 9 months and have nothing to separate. We don't have children, a house, and have not made a single large purchase together. Neither of us want to fight over anything, we simply want to get the divorce behind us as...

Any attorney will do. PLEASE READ! [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I got victimized in a scam at http://www.roommates.com/. Like an idiot, I took a $3,000 check from a hot chick and planned to wire her the remainder of the funds after the check cleared. After doing everything I knew to do to make sure the check was legit, I deposited it. As you...

Attorney called in regards to collection [ 8 Answers ]

Last August I filled out the paperwork for a chapter 13 and started the process. I have been unable to make the monthly payments to the Trustee and the 13 has been discharged. Two weeks ago I received a call from an attorney who is trying to collect a debt for a cc company. I made arrangements...

Power of Attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

I will most likely not be present when we close on our house. I want to handwrite a power of attorney and get it notarized. Will this be sufficient? Here is an example of what I will write: To Whom It May Concern: I, insert name, born on insert date with social security number insert...

Power of attorney info [ 1 Answers ]

I ned info for a speech to teenagers

View more questions Search