Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Dec 31, 2005, 02:06 PM
    Which printer should I go with?
    I have been considering purchasing a printer that has the capability of printing onto DVDs and CDs, which I see Epson is really taking up on.

Currently, I have a very nice Dell All-In-One Printer with LCD screen, etc... and it works great, but ALL cartridges must be bought from Dell, which tends to be more expensive. And, this printer cannot print DVDs.

So I have been looking at this Epson http://cgi.ebay.com/EPSON-STYLUS-R30...QQcmdZViewItem
    Or something along that line. It appears that is does everything my Dell does and also prints CDs and DVDs. But I see that is takes SIX printer cartridges?? How does this work and does that make it more expensive to purchase ink or is it actually more economical?

Thanks much for your help!
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Dec 31, 2005, 02:27 PM
    Which Printer
    Good printer, I have r200, poorer relation of yours, difference is mine doesn't print from card. Good to be able to print straight to CD/DVD. (haven't done it myself yet). It is more economical having separate inks, just buy the colours you need, though the price of a full set compared to individuals makes it too tempting, only ever used compatibles, no bother though. Photo printing is very good, well satisfied. DavidB.

Dec 31, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Thanks very much! Nothing better than having a first-hand experience! :)
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Dec 31, 2005, 03:09 PM
    OK.. wzartv
    Ok.. if your interested in saving money for ink cartridges... don't change printer just because the cartridges have to be bought from dell. Just get an ink cartridge refill (look it up on google)... and if you don't fell like manually refilling your cartridge just buy them from a company that refills cartridges (you might have to post your ALMOST-empty cartridge though).

In the UK its like £6 (about $10) for a black refill set that refills my Dell printer cartridge about 6 times.

If u refill yourself... only refill 10ml (never more!)... and also always refill when the cartridge is almost empty (but not totally empty).

U can refill any cartridge... but you WILL need special refills if you want to print onto CDs (or for waterproof).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2005, 03:16 PM
    Ink for Epsons may economical, but unlike say an HP, you don't get a new print head with every cartridge. Fail to use the printer often enough or play around refilling the cartridges, and the print head clogs up. I lost about a year old printer that way. I have an HP now. I have refilled the original cartridges several times. Best to not let them run out. If a cartridge ever fails to print after refilling it, toss it and start with a new one. I am way ahead now with refilling and would still be ahead if I have to buy new cartridges. You can buy a printer for less than a new Epson print head. I think Canon is the same way.

In general I stay out of the computer area, where I know little, but having been burned once by an Epson, like to warn others.

Dec 31, 2005, 04:29 PM
    Ok.. if your interested in saving money for ink cartridges... don't change printer just because the cartridges have to be bought from dell. Just get an ink cartridge refill (look it up on google)... and if you don't fell like manually refilling your cartridge just buy them from a company that refills cartridges (you might have to post your ALMOST-empty cartridge though).
    I have attempted to get the Dell cartridges refilled, but even after refilling them, the printer still says they are empty. Maybe some sort of level meter built into the cartridges? I have no idea.

Also, though, the main reason I am looking at this Epson is because it can print on printable CDs and DVDs. I just wasn't sure if the whole "multiple cartriges" thing was a good idea or not.

Thanks again very much for everyone's help!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Cartridges
    Hi,
    I just wanted to add something about cartridges.
    Some brands have a small "dot" on the copper connection, located on the cartridge. When this "dot" becomes worn or smaller with inserting maybe a second or third time, the printer won't recognize it. And, might give a message like you get.
    Re-filling cartridges is a good idea, but it gets to the point when the "sponge" in some cartridges dry out, and is nothing but a "hassle". If you go this route, then buy the "bulk" ink, in 8 or 12 oz. sizes; much cheaper than just buying a "kit", good for one or two refills.
    Check out http://www.printpal.com for generic cartridges. I use them for my Epson printer, and they produce great quality photos.
    Bes of luck, and Happy New Year.
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Jan 1, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Which Printer
    Talking about prices Fred, readers letter in my magazine. Chap bought a printer in store, went in later on for new carts, and the ink was £2 dearer than the printer, played up with the manager and was told to just buy a new printer. I know carts in new printers often have less ink, but these printer manufacturerers do tend to want jam on it. DavidB.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Epson is the only manufacturer that has regular printers that can print directly to CD/DVD disks. The disk have to be printable ones which are slightly more expensive. Also disks printed from these printers take a long time to dry.

Casio makes a printer specifically designed just to print on disks. You might want to look at that printer just for that purpose and use a regular printer for regular print tasks.

The drawback with individual ink cartridge printers is that they tend to waste ink. A study was done about a year ago that showed that Epson and Canon only use about 60% of the ink in the cartridges. Ink is wasted during cartridge changes and recalibrations. This wasted ink tends to gum up printer heads (a separate part for individual ink printers). Their advantage is that you don't have to dispose of ink in a multicolor cartridge when one cartridge runs out. That same study showed that HP carts (even though multi-color) used about 80% of the ink.

Dell printers are made by Lexmark, but they are modified to only accept cartridges purchased from Dell. Lexmark has always had the highest cost per page because of ink prices and usage.

While many people have successfully used refilled or remanufactured ink carts, many people have had significant problems with them. I personally have chosen not to risk them.

Getting back to printer heads, HP has recently released an individual ink cart system. Their system uses a closed reservoir that doesn't waste ink. Other HPs use multi-ink cartridges that have the print head built in so replacing the cart is almost like getting a new printer. Yet the cost per page for HPs is very competititve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Printer woes! [ 1 Answers ]

HP laserjet printer 5MP stopped printing today. The printer folder comes on and flashes and when brought up states that a printer time out error occurred.The solution is to increase the time but this has not helped. Does anyone know how to correct this problem so that the printer will resume...

Which printer is best? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a question, slightly similar to another thread, but not quite. I'm looking to buy a printer, just for printing out Word documents, invoices, scripts and that sort of thing. I would be potentially running off about a hundred pages a week minimum. I am sick of paying extortionate...

HP Printer 950 [ 3 Answers ]

My HP All in One 950 psc printer works fine on the print function, but on copy and on scan it will say "warming up" and just sit there. I have turned off, unplugged, reset, and still nothing. Occasionally it will work, but usually not. Any suggestions? ...

Printer [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Epson Stylus Photo Printer that I want to install on the Windows XP. When I get to a certain point of in the installing, it reads that if I continue it may impair or destablize the operation of the system. It will let me continue or quit. Would the Epson work with the XP?

View more questions Search