Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Should people post in forums they know little about if others with good backgrounds a

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

1 10.00%
  • Yes, they are only wanting to help and if their answer is wrong, others can correct it.

3 30.00%
  • Only when it is a special area they do have some actual experience.

6 60.00%
  • What does a few bad answers hurt?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2005, 12:45 PM
    Should people stick to what they know?
    Should people post in forums they know little about if others with good backgrounds are active there?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 1, 2006, 02:59 AM
    2 cents worth
    Just my opinion, but there is but one way to learn and that is to ask,also everyone should feel as they can share there opinions and experiences because there are a lot of ways to look at a problem and even an expert can learn every now and then!:cool:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Just my opinion, but there is but one way to learn and that is to ask,also everyone should feel as they can share there opinions and experiences because there are a lot of ways to look at a problem and even an expert can learn every now and then!:cool:
    While I agree with you, there is a caveat here. Not all questions are subject to opinion. Not all experiences may be helpful. Where questions are non technical, then anyone should be able to post their opinions. But questions that are technical in nature should only be answered by people with knowledge and/or experience with the specific question.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Jan 1, 2006, 03:00 PM
    I agree one hundred percent with scott gem, technical problems should be left to the experts, sometimes people know nothing at all about computers yet they like to recommend some really wacked out opinion of theirs on how to fix the solution and there is a good posibility that someone who is reading the forum could use that opinion and making there problem worse. I go to the computer forum's and read what's there, and I have only posted once and that was about which OS I thought was better, I could go and offer help and I will correct someone if I think they give the wrong advice, but usually scottgem or someone else is their and I have yet to read a post I thought was wrong. And I think that is good, it's sort of like a check and balance system, someone posts and people who know what that person is talking about reads it and if that person ran into a problem with the other persons solution or there was a more quick route they can offer their advice and that makes everyone better.
    Expert

Jan 1, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Expert advice
    I agree with you both ,but you never know if an experience can help if you don't post it,also as you say someone is usually there to add or correct the problem.:cool:

Jan 1, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzkid89
    I agree one hundred percent with scott gem, technical problems should be left to the experts,
    Well actually that's not what I said. I do believe that if someone has some specific experience with a problem, they may be able to help out. I just feel that unless you do have some expertise or specific experience with the question then one shouldn't answer.

There is also another caveat, If a question has gone 24 hours or more without any answer, then its possible your input might help.

My point is there isn't any hard and fast rule to go by in this. The rule I go by is, unless I'm absolutely sure of my answer I hesitate to respond. If I do respond I will identify that I'm not that sure. (This doesn't mean I can't be wrong even so).

As an aside, another rule I go by is not adding to a thread unless I feel my addition represents significant value to the asker. One recent example was an answer I added about using the Repair console for Win XP. Another person responded after me with a link to an alleged step by step procedure. The procedure is boot to CD, select Repair when prompted. In my opinion the link was superfluous and uneccessary. Its an addition I wouldn't have added. There are people here who answer as many questions as they can simply to pad their point totals.

Scott<>
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2006, 03:44 AM
    I say let the reputation system be the final judge on what is a good answer or not.

Personal knowledge often has little to do with what is a good answer. Some here simply like to help find the answer. It's OK for someone who has no knowledge of the area being asked about to help the asker find the answer.

Jan 2, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    I say let the reputation system be the final judge on what is a good answer or not.
    No way! The reputation system can and is being manipulated. Some members clearly are throwing answers out there to build their reputations. Some people clearly think the little green boxes are lego blocks to play with. I suspect that was part of Lab's reasoning in starting this poll.

The rating system (an adjunct to the reputation system) does have some value now that its been fixed. By allowing members to add comments directly to an answer, it can help the reader judge the value of an answer. However, this is not absolute. Some people give retaliatory ratings as a way to get back at people. Others only give good ratings for fear of antagonizing the answerer. The spread feature also limits the usability of the ratings.

I do believe the rating feature (as long as comments are posted as part of the answer) is a valuable tool and its advantages outweigh its drawbacks.

But the issue here is not whether the current systems catch bad answers but whether people should post just to see themselves in print. My opinion has been stated.
    Expert

Jan 2, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Experts Only!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Well actually that's not what I said. I do believe that if someone has some specific experience with a problem, they may be able to help out. I just feel that unless you do have some expertise or specific experience with the question then one shouldn't answer.

There is also another caveat, If a question has gone 24 hours or more without any answer, then its possible your input might help.

My point is there isn't any hard and fast rule to go by in this. The rule I go by is, unless I'm absolutely sure of my answer I hesitate to respond. If I do respond I will identify that I'm not that sure. (This doesn't mean I can't be wrong even so).

As an aside, another rule I go by is not adding to a thread unless I feel my addition represents significant value to the asker. One recent example was an answer I added about using the Repair console for Win XP. Another person responded after me with a link to an alleged step by step procedure. The procedure is boot to CD, select Repair when prompted. In my opinion the link was superfluous and uneccessary. Its an addition I wouldn't have added. There are people here who answer as many questions as they can simply to pad their point totals.

Scott<>
    This may be true Scott but I also think that there are a lot of us who wish to help,or just express ourselves and some of us are addicted to this forum.:cool:

Jan 2, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    This may be true Scott but I also think that there are a lot of us who wish to help,or just express ourselves and some of us are addicted to this forum.:cool:
    I keep repeating this but you HAVE to separate the technical from the non-technical. There are many subforums where the threads are more discussion (like this one) then Q&A. I see nothing wrong with joining a discussion. But there are also many that are specificly Q&A or even individual threads that are questions. An asker doesn't always want a debate, they want accurate answers. Once they get an accurate answer, it may be overkill to add more.

I agree this is sometimes a judgement call, but many times it is clear cut. The point is you can't make a blanket statement because there are two classes of threads.

Scott<>
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jan 3, 2006, 07:46 AM
    technical vs. non-technical
    I completely agree with the above opinions on sticking to what you know when it comes to technical issues. My personal experience as an attorney posting in the "Law" category leaves me very concerned with the so called "experts" who seem to answer any question in any category just to build up reputation points (I am new, and haven't really figured out the system yet).

Some of the answers I have seen on the "Law" forum have made me want to vomit. There are "experts" on that forum giving completely erroneous information to people who don't know any better than to accept it. Now mind you, these are not questions like "I am thinking of buying a new fluffy cat, what should I name her?"... they are questions like, "I am going to lose my house in 3 days...what should I do?"

Here is a recent thread where someone had important and time sensitive questions. Scroll down to my post entitled "disregard 90% of this thread" to see that nearly every person who replied to this post had NO IDEA what they were talking about, and in many instances, were just dead wrong.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...2530#post62530

I mean these people are throwing around legal jargon that they hear on Law & Order and have no idea what it means.

In the forgoing post, we have people who are "experts" in not only this type of law, but "relationships"; "pregnancy and motherhood"; "bankruptcy and debt"; "teens";"family law"; "divorce"; "dating"; "etiquette"; "spirituality"; "careers"; "crime"; "medical conditions and diseases"; "death and dying"; "labor unions"; "ethics"; and "adoption". Ever hear the phrase about being an expert in everything and nothing?

Now I can tell you, based on my personal experience, and the hours that an ACTUAL LAWYER has to work, that we don't have time to be "experts" in such a diverse array of fields. Things to consider when taking advice from the "expert in everything" on technical questions:

1. Where does someone find the time to acquire the qualifications to be an expert in 20+ different fields?

2. What kind of "expert" has 12-14 spare hours a day to post on an internet forum for no pay? If someone were qualified to answer your legal questions.....don't you think they are probably EMPLOYED at an extremely demanding and high stress job? I don't think that anyone coming to this forum for legal advice is looking for the "personal opinion" of a stay at home mom who takes a break from posting about "nursery decorating" to peruse the "Law" forum.

3. Do you want your legal questions being answered by someone who thinks the First Amendment addresses the "right to bear arms"? (no...I'm not joking, it has happened).

Now I don't have a problem with non-lawyers who think they may have something valuable to add to a topic posting on the topic. There are plenty of people who may know something about the law, and not be lawyers.(ie: landlords, paralegals, court employees, cops, etc.) BUT DISCLOSE THIS UPFRONT! There are many non-lawyer landlords out there that know more about landlord/tenant law than I do, and there are many criminals who may know more about the penal system than I do, but let people know where the information is coming from.

If it means starting every post with "Let me start by saying that I really have no idea what I am talking about, I have absolutely no experience or education in the field, however, I do have "street smarts" and "eighty years on this planet" in addition to having watched a lot of "LA LAW"............then so be it.

Also, perhaps the most irritating thing I have seen on here... the individuals who respond to EVERY SINGLE question on the law board with an answer like, "you should consult an attorney". Now what possible value does that answer have, other than adding to some blowhard's posting numbers?
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoutshu
    ...There are "experts" on that forum giving completely erroneous information to people who don't know any better than to accept it. Now mind you, these are not questions like "I am thinking of buying a new fluffy cat, what should I name her?".....they are questions like, "I am going to lose my house in 3 days...what should I do?"
    Excellent points. I added an Announcement to the Family Law Board.

I did it hip-shot: If you would review it and suggest better language, I would appreciate it.

From there, I would also add it to the other Law Boards.

Have you considered adding that you are an attorney in your signature? I know that some wing-dings might misconstrue that you "represent them", but I have a bit in the Announcement about that if it helps...

Jan 3, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Signature
    Ya, like I said, I am new, so I haven't figured out the signature stuff yet. The announcement looked fine, for the purpose. I am not worried about people who may think an attorney-client relationship exists, as much as I am concerned about people who don't realize where, or from whom, advice is coming.

Jan 3, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Sig test
    Lets see if it works...
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Comment on sideoutshu's post
    Wunderbar!

Jan 3, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Good idea, it's a start

Jan 3, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoutshu
    2. What kind of "expert" has 12-14 spare hours a day to post on an internet forum for no pay?...
    You had a great post and I couldn't agree more. It doesn't seem to have taken you long to see through the "renaissance" people here who have so many expertises.

I did want to comment on the quote above. Its kind of hard to always tell how much time a person spends answering questions. Some people read and type faster than others.

As for me, since my job is in IT, I'm constantly online so spending a few minutes to break the monotony by answering questions can add up. I've always told people I'm lucky in that my vocation is also my avocation.

Scott<>
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 4, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Comment on sideoutshu's post
    Definitely
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 12:21 PM
    This might be slightly off the topic, but what annoys me is when I give a thorough answer to a question, and then a while later (not simultaneously), someone else gives an almost identical answer, without commenting that they agree with me or even acknowledging that I've posted. Is it that they don't see my reply for some reason? Because it almost seems like copying... this has happened to me quite a few times.

Jan 7, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Also, something that annoys me is when I give a really good answer to a question, but then someone soon after gives almost the same answer that I JUST GAVE without giving me credit. What kind of hack does something like that? Do they not see my answer... because it is like plagerism.

(just kidding... lol)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Peel and stick vinyl tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Looking to use these in my kitchen because I can't get the same pattern on a roll of vinyl.Now I have never used these before and have a couple questions.I know they come with glue on the backs but how good is it.Does it hold for a short time but then they come loose.See wondering if I should add...

Australian Stick Bug [ 4 Answers ]

I just received an Australian Stick Bug as a gift, and I have no idea what to do with it. It is in a vented plastic cage with a flip top lid, some fake ivy in it, and a small water dish. I was told to feed it greens. I don't know what kind, or if the wrong kind would be bad for it. Can someone...

Stick Arena Cheats? [ 9 Answers ]

I've been searching for games and found this one. I've played and seen many cheats. How do they die and get a wep automatically when they revive? How do they go through walls? How they go real fast?

Peel and stick [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to put peel and stick on an already tiled floor. The tiling was well done so I don't want to tear it up. It's just ugly for my taste. How can I pull this off?

Hello people [ 1 Answers ]

Does any body here know how to reformat a PC?

View more questions Search