Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mopoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Taxes and donations to non-profit
    Hello,

What is the monetary deduction limit that I can donate to a non-profit organization? Also, are there different limits for federal and state?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
    The limit for deductions on your federal income tax depend on the type of property you are donating and to whom you are donating it. In general, you can't deduct more than 50% of your Adjusted Gross Income. However, you may be limited to only 30% if the organization is not a "50% limit organization," or to only 20% if the property is a certain type of appreciated security, but there are exceptions to these limits. Take a look at Pub 526 - it explains all the gory details:

Publication 526 (2007), Charitable Contributions

I can't answer your question regarding state taxes, since you don't tell us what state you live in.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Agreed.

Also, knowing which state in which you live would be helpful.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Contribution to a non-profit organization may not be deductible at all.
    Only the contribution to registered 501(c)3 charities is deductible up to certain percentage. That too as itemized deduction.
    mopoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Thanks for your replies. I'm in California
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Of course churches are exempt from having to register by IRS rules unless they are large enough to meet certain requirements. On the application for a 501C3 it clearly states churches are not required to file.

It does help if they wish to get grant money or larger corporation awards, but donations to them are just as tax deductable even though they are not registered. This does not apply to ministries and other non profit work that are required to file.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 09:37 PM
    MukatA is right; not ALL non-profits are charities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make a donations tax deductible [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, A officer in my county has been injured in an car accident. His fellow officers are doing fund raising efforts for him and his family. An account has been set-up in his name at the local bank is it possible to make donations to this account tax deductible for donors?

Sponsorship donations for charity event [ 0 Answers ]

If I am working with a non-profit 501c3 event such as a dinner to raise $ for this nonprofit group and I offer "sponsorship" options or "ads" in our program, and I want to ask for X amount of money for Gold Sponsorship and have a portion be tax-deductible and go directly to the charity with the...

Large Amounts of Charitable Donations [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to help a friend who donated large amounts of small dollar value items to an animal shelter last year. Some were dollar store items, some were larger items like food, medical supplies & small cost equipment. The total value (based on her purchase price) totaled over $6000. How do I...

Donations for Consignment Shop [ 4 Answers ]

Is it okay to take donations to open a thrift shop? Teresa

Donations [ 1 Answers ]

If a church is incorporated, but does not have a 501c3 status can donations be counted off on income tax. Would we be able to give a receipt for their income tax?

View more questions Search