Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charlene74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Child Support Modification
    My ex-husband and I have joint legal & physical custody of our two boys ages 13 & 9. Approximately 5 yrs ago he was ordered to pay me $90.00/wk for both boys. I am currently unemployed finishing my last year of nursing school and am considering initiating child support modification. I don't have the financial resources for an attorney and need to know the proper steps to take to initiate the process. Thanks
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Unless this has become an 'administrative' procedure, you will need the assistance of an attorney. Everyone has the right to represent himself, but there is an old saying, that a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.
    greg_z Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlene74
    My ex-husband and I have joint legal & physical custody of our two boys ages 13 & 9. Approximately 5 yrs ago he was ordered to pay me $90.00/wk for both boys. I am currently unemployed finishing my last year of nursing school and am considering initiating child support modification. I don't have the financial resources for an attorney and need to know the proper steps to take to initiate the process. thanks
    If you live in the U.S. check with your state's Child Support Enforcement Agency (all are online), or you can go to The Office of Child Support Enforcement for more info. If you live outside the U.S. check with your Country's agency that handles CSE. As for the amount, every state is different, and for Illinois, it is 28% of Net Take home Income to determine the amount of support, and dad can be ordered to carry Medical Insurance for the kids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modification for child support [ 11 Answers ]

Im thinking of filing a modification for child support.. I was divorced in 2002 and back then I took under guidelines for child support.. I now want to file to be within guidelines.. I also know he makes a lot more money now. Are they are laws or anything I should know.. Ive read somewhere about...

Child support modification [ 1 Answers ]

My original divorce agreement includes child support based on my ex's salary from 9 years ago. He refuses to disclose his current salary since I have asked for an increase and I directed him to the website which describes how it is calculated. Is there any way to obtain his current salary without...

First I would like to know when the support law changed in Indiana from 18 to 21? Also how do you file to modify items when you live out of state? I really don't want to have to retain an attorney if at all possible. I am trying to keep things cordial between my ex and myself. If they go away to...

When my husband divorced his first wife, she was awarded spousal support of $400 a month for 44 months and $400 for child support (one child.) This was based on her making $45,000 a year, while he made $86,000 a year. She had three children from a previous marriage, receiving child support for...

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

I am seeking a modification in my current child support payment. My current payment of $674 is created a financial hardship for me. All my utilities and rental payments are last monthly which cause a greater hardship due to the late fees. I have another child for which I have a voluntarily...

View more questions Search