Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flumster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 09:46 AM
    Toilet ventilation
    What is the proper way to vent a toilet. I have a two story house and the upstairs toilet was fine for ten years without a vent, but eventually it didn't flush properly. A vent pipe was installed, hoping to aid in flushing, but the problem was as simple as cleaning the little hole in the bottom of the toilet that creates the initial swirl. The toilet flushes fine now but I have a continuous gasey odor. I live in a rural area and did my own plumbing, which is now coming back to haunt me. The toilet vent is also connected to my tub drain in the same bathroom. Having said all that, here is the queston. Is there a simple diagram or explanation showing the proper ventilation of a toilet? If my toilet worked well for years (then had mineral deposits) do I even need a vent now?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2005, 10:18 AM
    "here is the queston. Is there a simple diagram or explanation showing the proper ventilation of a toliet? If my toliet worked well for years (then had mineral deposits) do i even need a vent now?"

You didn't need a vent then and you don't need a vent now.
    As a rule we wet vent our toilets through the lavatory vent. While toilets can have their own dedicated vent in most cases it's not necessary. If you've had a odor ever since you installed the vent I would cap it off. The tub should also be wet vented by the lav so I don't foresee any problem. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet back up [ 3 Answers ]

Sometimes our toilet backs up for no real apparent reason. Not much toilet paper, etc. We flush and it will overflow. Is there a product I can flush in my toilet to eat away at residue to help the pipes? My house was built in 1957 and I don't think the plumbing has had much upgrading.

Ventilation in tight construction [ 2 Answers ]

I am constructing a 2500sf two story single family home on the coast in northern California where the temp remains fairly steady and cool (rarely much above 75 degrees and rarely if ever freezes)and have concerns about air quality and air depressurization and would appreciate some advice. I am...

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet will not flush like it is supposed to, it will flush out solid but not paper. What makes the toilet flush?

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I think one of my children flushed something down the toilet. The only things I think it can be is either a bar of soap or a wash cloth. Now you have to plunge it every time you flush. Any suggestions on what I could do myself before I call a plumber?

Toilet doesn't fill up [ 2 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet the water continues to flow into the toilet and it won't stop. After I jiggle the handle a couple of times it finally will stop. What do I need to do inside the tank to fix this? Thank you, Pat B.

View more questions Search