Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KenKnight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Remove toilet flange to shorten drain
    I just installed new laminate flooring.
    I removed ceramic tile and underlayment.
    Dimensional difference is approx. 3/8".
    Toilet will not mount flush to floor; need to shorten the drain pipe.
    Flange is glued to drain from original install.
    What is the best way to remove the flange?
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2008, 06:21 PM
    There is such a tool that will cut the flange only and you can then refit another. I forget the name but it is very expensive and only pros have them.

Everyone else will cut and remove, and put in a new flange. But this is a lot of work.

At only 3/8" height difference..you might consider putting your toilet on a piece of plywood 3/8" thick. Shape the wood to match footprint of the bowl. Then cover the site of the wood with white silicon.

If your bowl leaks in the future, make sure there is a path for the water to escape so you can see it.

$0.02
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklez
    there is such a tool that will cut the flange only and you can then refit another. i forget the name but it is very expensive and only pros have them.
    And only just now do you decide to chime in.

What was it, just two weeks ago when Tom fed me a whole ration of sh** for having and using just such a tool? :D
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Sometimes having the right tool makes all the difference..

Sometimes you just get yelled at... who can tell in this crazy world

;P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determine toilet flange height from drain field [ 2 Answers ]

I am designing a bath house with mens/womens bathrooms on either side of a shared wall. The perk test specifies that the drain fields must be 23 inches deep (no deeper). The ground is very level. With the above: The elevation of the drain field determines the elevation of the septic...

Toilet drain pipe below floor; need to replace flange [ 5 Answers ]

The toilet in our master bedroom was leaking around the floor. I turned the water off, flushed it one last time to get the water out of the tank, and called the plumber, who stopped by today. I wasn't there, but my g/f took a bunch of notes. He unbolted the toilet and pulled the flange out...

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

How do I remove a flange from pvc? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to put tile in my bathroom. How do I remove the old flange so it will be at the right height? I do have access to the plumbing from the basement. Thanks for the help

Remove cast iron flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a plastic (fiberglass?) shower pan with a new one. I have the existing pan free from the walls and subfloor, but it is still being held in place by the drain flange (I did remove the strainer!). The flange appears to be cast iron (it is very rusted inside) and is about 4 inches...

View more questions Search