Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suprasex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Computer keeps booting
    I have a computer that keeps booting after the xp logo goes off. You see the screen flash on and off a couple of times and it goes back to the beginning. I've tried disconnecting everything and still the same. I've hit the F8 key and tried to go into safe mode and that quits after it shows safe mode in the corners then it reboots. I have tried to even load xp again and it won't even boot from cd. Yes its reading the cd rom and yes I have it set to boot from the cd rom first.:) :)
    thematrix12 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 01:14 PM
    So.. it loads up to the windows xp screen turns off and starts again? Sounds like a corrupt mbr (master boot record) to me
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Jan 24, 2008, 12:03 PM
    I don't think it the mbr as the system is getting as far as the splash screen Master boot record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (the mbr comes into things earlier if the process)
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    Originally Posted by charliec
    Spontaneous rebooting can be caused by a number of things.

1: The cpu overheating ; check that the cpu fan/heatsink is attached and working , you should hear or see the fan rotating.
    Check that the case fan is working , this moves air through the case which also helps cooling.
    So make sure the case is closed up properly with no slot covers missing.

2: Power: You need to have your PC plugged into a surge protector/line conditioner , bad AC power from the power company can cause reboots and damage your PC.
    Also if your power supply can not provide enough power the system reboots , do you know what the watt rating of your power supply is?

3: bad ram , can cause reboots,

4: viruses , run a good updated antivirus program like AVG free edition

Check all your connections to Mobo so everything is fitting correctly.

Jan 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
    If the OS is not loading , how do you know its reading the cd rom?

Jan 24, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Have you tried any other of the advanced startup options? (after pressing f8)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB Booting? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to be able to boot from a USB drive and my bios doesn't support booting from USB devices, so I was wondering if a dos based boot cd(cause my machine doesn't have a floppy drive) to re-route the boot from the USB device, and if so... can somebody show me how to create one. I already know how...

G5 not booting [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a g5 1.8 single processor that didn't have a hard drive, so I bought a maxtor SATA II drive and was planning to load the os from dvd. The mac starts to a flashing power button, what could be the problem? That's as far as it gets, no screen, doesn't recognize an apple keyboard/mouse, so...

Need Help. Booting [ 1 Answers ]

My computer was working perfectly yesterday. This morning I started it up, normally as I always do, then the following problem occurred. "Operative system failed." Any idea why THAT could happen?

Computer not powering off or booting up [ 3 Answers ]

The led light are flashning but PC not booting or powering off need help on what to check .first thanks guys . All I can tell adout the specs are it has a M7VIG 400 mother board , KVR 333 mem / 256

View more questions Search