Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labor Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Wire size for apartment-sized oven/cook top
    Well I've spent several months reading responses to questions on here before deciding it was time to post a question of my own. Tkrussel, you should know that your no-nonsense direction and input has been very helpful to me during the last few months as I have been rewiring a cabin I purchased last year.

Here are my questions: What size wire do I need to use for a combined oven/cook top? It is an 8,800 watt, 120/240 volt, small apartment-sized oven with 4 burners on top. I think it is about 20 inches wide. I believe I will need to run a dedicated 40 amp circuit with #8 3-wire based on previous posts. Can someone tell me if that is correct?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Most range/oven units conform to that spec. NEC code lists 40 amps for a range/oven unit.

Also by code, range tops are 30 amp and separate ovens are also 30 amps.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Nope: a #5 or larger copper wire, 4-wire circuit. Larger meaning #4, 3, 3, 1, etc.
    40A breaker is correct.

Jan 2, 2008, 03:10 PM
    KISS,

Where did you get this info from? I'll append the Code section to this note when I get home. It's the 2008 version, but this section is unchanged from prior years.

Jan 2, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Nope: a #5 or larger copper wire, 4-wire circuit. Larger meaning #4, 3, 3, 1, etc.
    40A breaker is correct.
    Thanks for the prompt responses donf and KeepItSimpleStupid. I'll wait for a consensus or a definitive answer to develop regarding the wire size issue. The concern I now have is that the oven/cooktop says "three wire" on the back of it and KISS indicated that this will be a 4-wire circuit. KISS, are you counting the ground when you say "4-wire" (bare with me here as I am not an electrician and am not entirely familiar with the trade talk). Also, can I purchase the No. 5 in cable form (romex) or do I have to run conduit and pull each individual wire. Until now, I've only purchased cable in the following sizes 12-3 w/G, 12-2 w/G, 10-2, 14-2 w/G.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 06:24 PM
    #5? In the past, they allowed dryers and ranges to use the same conductor for neutral and ground. I think you can run 8-3 with ground. Red and black to the hots, white to the neutral, and bare to the metal shell. Break the neutral to ground connection if it has one. Is this a built in, one piece unit?

Don't buy any wire yet.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Because of the 240/120 designation. I assumed a neutral. Ranges in the past did not use the neutral. Code, I think, dictates that 4 wire circuits should be used for new work.

So, check the connections available. You may have to remove a ground strap to utilize the safer 4-wire connection.

The terminology is 3 pole with ground.

It looks like your right #8 is OK.
    The NEC code says to use 60 deg. Ratings.

The generic term for Romex is NM-B. Some NM-B cables are here: Dale Electric Supply Co. - Since 1947 - Wholesale and Retail Electrical Supplies
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 08:23 PM
    I think #5 wire may have meant be #6. I always pull 6's instead of #8's, you then choose 40 or 50 Amp Breaker, no repulling wires later. That would be 2 #6's for hots, a #8 for Neutral, and 10 for ground.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 03:55 AM
    Minimum size circuit for a range is a 40 amp , that would use #8-3 Romex cable.

It will be called 3 wire, with a black, red, and white, but there is a fourth bare wire that intended to be the ground, and is understood, in the trade.

So, as long as your #8 cable has four wires, your fine.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Jan 3, 2008, 06:44 AM
    I would consider using #6 and going 50A for future upgrades. I have a double oven unit. I was a very happy camper to see my existing wiring was already set up for 50A because this unit required it.

Jan 3, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Kiss,

Good morning. Here are the cites I pulled from the 2008 NEC code. Please note that there were no highlighted areas so this cites are unchanged from at lease the prior level of code.

210.19 A (C) Ampacity and Conductors. Table 220.55, Note (4) Nametag Rating.

220.18 Max load. And finally 240.140 Grounding conductor size and connections.

Jan 3, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Labor
    Well I've spent several months reading responses to questions on here before deciding it was time to post a question of my own. Tkrussel, you should know that your no-nonsense direction and input has been very helpful to me during the last few months as I have been rewiring a cabin I purchased last year.

Here are my questions: What size wire do I need to use for a combined oven/cook top? It is an 8,800 watt, 120/240 volt, small apartment-sized oven with 4 burners on top. I think it is about 20 inches wide. I believe I will need to run a dedicated 40 amp circuit with #8 3-wire based on previous posts. Can someone tell me if that is correct?
    Thanks for all your help guys. Labman, the unit is a one piece unit, oven/cooktop with 4 burners. In the interest of future upgrades, I will use the 6/3 Romex (if I can find it). Alternatively, I'll use the 8/3 Romex as initially planned. For now, I'll go with the 40 amp breaker as I'm running low on available amperage. I have two final follow-up questions: (1) With a 40 amp breaker, will I need a 2-pole or a single pole? I don't really understand those designations. (2) I was not planning on wiring it direct as I understood that to be a questionable, if not illegal, practice based on previous posts. My plan was to purchase an appropriately sized plug and outlet. I just don't know what I should look for when it comes to plugs and outlets for my unit. Can you guys give me any guidance here?
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 10:20 AM
    A 2 pole breaker allows 240 Volts, a single pole breaker will get you 120 volts. Sounds like this needs to be hardwired, No plug or receptacle.

Jan 3, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Labor,

Before you jump off the bridge, do you have the landlord's permission to make the change from a range to to a range/oven combination? Remember, that you also have to remove the breakers, conductors and receptacles from the panel box and behind the walls. Plus return the equipment presently installed to the owner.

If you do not have the landlord's written and notarized authorization to pull the electrical permit, then you will not be allowed to get the permit. Because you are not the owner of the property. Also, because this is a multiple dwelling, there may be other guidelines that have to be met before a permit can be issued.

I do not believe that an electrician can or will pull the permit for you again because you are not the owner of the dwelling.

Then there's the cost of the wire. #8 and #6 conductors (3) are very expensive because of the copper conductors and you would want filament conductors for their flexibility.

As to upgrading #6/3, I would not waste the money unless you have plans to change the equipment to commercial grade down the road. The controlling factor is the NEC here. They set the guidelines for the loads. The industry manufacturers then design to the spec. not the other way around.

And finally, why spend your money upgrading to #6 for an apartment that you do not own.

Jan 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Labor,

Before you jump off the bridge, do you have the landlord's permission to make the change from a range to to a range/oven combination? Remember, that you also have to remove the breakers, conductors and receptacles from the panel box and behind the walls. Plus return the equipment presently installed to the owner.

If you do not have the landlord's written and notarized authorization to pull the electrical permit, then you will not be allowed to get the permit. Because you are not the owner of the property. Also, because this is a multiple dwelling, there may be other guidelines that have to be met before a permit can be issued.

I do not believe that an electrician can or will pull the permit for you again because you are not the owner of the dwelling.

Then there's the cost of the wire. #8 and #6 conductors (3) are very expensive because of the copper conductors and you would want filament conductors for their flexibility.

As to upgrading #6/3, I would not waste the money unless you have plans to change the equipment to commercial grade down the road. The controlling factor is the NEC here. They set the guidelines for the loads. The industry manufacturers then design to the spec. not the other way around.

And finally, why spend your money upgrading to #6 for an apartment that you do not own.
    Don, I am not working in an apartment. Rather, I am updating and rehabbing a hunter's cabin in the north woods of Michigan that I purchased last year. Right now, I am in the process of installing new electric, including a new apartment-sized oven/cooktop combo unit. All of the electrical will be inspected after installation of a new meter socket, an exterior main breaker and an interior sub panel.

Jan 3, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    A 2 pole breaker allows 240 Volts, a single pole breaker will get you 120 volts. Sounds like this needs to be hardwired, No plug or recepticle.
    So, is it correct for me to assume that I'll need to use a 2 pole breaker? Unless I am mistaken, the back of the unit says "120/240".

I've got to double check it, but I don't believe there was a plug on it when I looked at it over the weekend. Does the absence of a plug require that I hardwire it or does that simply mean that I've got to purchase a plug and corresponding outlet?
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 10:38 AM
    There are many things you can get away with: aluminum wiring, #8 for ranges, and #14 for recepticles. I refuse to do any. I believe in Overkill. Compare the price difference between the 2, if too expensive, use #8. Motors and Compressors especially love larger conductors. Never seen a problem with too large a conductor, have seen problems from too small a conductor.
    Donf, you answered his question, I was probably saying "What I would do"
    Take Care
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 10:49 AM
    You can buy the wire now. Buy a matching 4 prong cord set or pigtail and an outlet that matches it plus a double pole breaker. I haven't paid too much attention, but the big box stores have a big selection of cords and outlets. Look for 4 prongs and an amp rating matching your wire. If you find the #6, you can buy all 50 amp. Otherwise, it all must be 40 amp. Connect the red and black each to a screw on the breaker. The double pole breaker has 2 clips on the back to go on each buss, and2 screws to hold wires. If it has 2 handles, they are linked. Connect white to the neutral bar and bare to the equipment ground bar. The outlet should have directions or be marked where the wires go, perhaps red and black to L1 and L2. If no other way, make sure all 4 wires connect to the same ones in the cord set. Connect the cord as I said earlier.

Check code and see if a built in requires a cord, or just a disconect.

Jan 3, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    There are many things you can get away with: aluminum wiring, #8 for ranges, and #14 for recepticles. I refuse to do any. I believe in Overkill. Compare the price difference between the 2, if too expensive, use #8. Motors and Compressors especially love larger conductors. Never seen a problem with too large a conductor, have seen problems from too small a conductor.
    Donf, you answered his question, I was probably saying "What I would do"
    Take Care
    Thanks Strat. I too believe in overkill.

Jan 3, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    You can buy the wire now. Buy a matching 4 prong cord set or pigtail and an outlet that matches it plus a double pole breaker. I haven't paid too much attention, but the big box stores have a big selection of cords and outlets. Look for 4 prongs and an amp rating matching your wire. If you find the #6, you can buy all 50 amp. Otherwise, it all must be 40 amp. Connect the red and black each to a screw on the breaker. The double pole breaker has 2 clips on the back to go on each buss, and2 screws to hold wires. If it has 2 handles, they are linked. Connect white to the neutral bar and bare to the equipment ground bar. The outlet should have directions or be marked where the wires go, perhaps red and black to L1 and L2. If no other way, make sure all 4 wires connect to the same ones in the cord set. Connect the cord as I said earlier.

Check code and see if a built in requires a cord, or just a disconect.
    Thanks for your input labman. Your suggestion is what I had in mind and its nice to get an affirmation. I will play it safe and install a plug and outlet (provided that I confirm the absence of a plug on the unit). If the wire/conductor, plug and outlet is rated for 50 amp service, I'm assuming I can still use a 40 amp 2 pole breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire Size and panel size [ 6 Answers ]

I have a separate small living quarters that is a single room that is about 180 feet away from the main panel. It is going to get another little bed room a small kitchen and a bathroom also maybe a washer. The main panel is a 100 amp meter socket combo. What should I upsize the main panel to? ...

Wire gauge for Double oven hook up [ 7 Answers ]

I am replacing old oven with double oven, current oven is on a 20 amp breaker, old wiring can not make out the gauge. The new double oven is convection 27" ovens, the following is the Power Specs: Amp Rating at 240V 30 Bake Wattage 2640 Broiler Wattage 3400 Convection Wattage 2500 KW...

Microwave/Oven Combo 40 amp rough in whire size [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new Whirlpool microwave/oven combo (model GMC275) which calls for a 40 amp circuit. I need to run a new home run to the sub-panel and install a 40 amp breaker. The run is about 60 feet. What is the romex wire size I need to use?

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search