Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike in cs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 05:15 PM
    Shower Vent - Re-direction
    I am remodeling my master bath, replacing a 5' whirlpool with a 6'. To do this, I have to move the tub away from the shower, and rotate it 90 degrees. The tub plumbing will be fine, it lines up with the existing drain line fine. The shower vent is my problem. The vent used to come up under the rim of the tub, then run into the wall and eventually the roof. Because the tub is moving, I need to rotate the vent line 90 degrees so it will come up inside a wall I am building. Is it OK for the vent to travel horizontal for about 2 feet, than rise up above the floor of the shower, and then to the existing vent line.
    What I am confused about is that the vent will actually run horizontal for 2 feet, go straight up about 2 feet, then travel horizontal again for 5 feet, than go vertical into the roof vent. On other posts, I read that for a
    1 1/2" pipe, the vent can be no more than 3.5' feet - does that mean before it goes vetical, or does that mean total length of the vent pipe?

Thanks
    Mike
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Dec 30, 2005, 07:39 PM
    Local inspector best bet.
    Wow 2 replies in one day with the same answer. If you are only concerned with the tub draining you can basically do anything except trap the line. Do you know what I mean by that? If you construct the vent line as you would a drain line, meaning you never have opposite direction of grade and you always have directional fittings in the correct position you should be fine. One exception is the vent must not begin flat. To see what I mean by that, check out this web site. http://www.masterplumber.com/Laws/UP...ts.html#toolow
    If you want to build the line according to local code, ask the inspector in that area.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2005, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in cs
    I am remodeling my master bath, replacing a 5' whirlpool with a 6'. To do this, I have to move the tub away from the shower, and rotate it 90 degrees. The tub plumbing will be fine, it lines up with the existing drain line fine. The shower vent is my problem. The vent used to come up under the rim of the tub, then run into the wall and eventually the roof. Becasue the tub is moving, I need to rotate the vent line 90 degrees so it will come up inside a wall I am building. Is it ok for the vent to travel horizontal for about 2 feet, than rise up above the floor of the shower, and then to the existing vent line.
    What I am confused about is that the vent will actually run horizontal for 2 feet, go straight up about 2 feet, then travel horizontal again for 5 feet, than go vertical into the roof vent. On other posts, I read that for a
    1 1/2" pipe, the vent can be no more than 3.5' feet - does that mean before it goes vetical, or does that mean total length of the vent pipe?

Thanks
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

As long as you aren't draining anything into that vent then that makes it a dry vent and you can have as many horizontal runs in the vent as you wish.
    The only thing is that you will have to maintain slope from the roof all the way down to the drain.
    The 3.5 ft. rule for a 1 1/2" drain line concerns the distance from the fixture trap to the vent connection. It does not affect the vent itself. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Basement shower drain vent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a basement shower which was stubbed when the floor was poured. A P trap is in the floor about 3' from the main horizontal sanitary line which goes out to the septic. I can see no vent lines and wonder if I need to vent the shower. If I do need to vent it, the vent needs to...

Shower & toilet drain/vent [ 2 Answers ]

I'm finishing the basement and have to add a bath tub as well as a toilet. My plan is to have a horizontal 3" tee, one side going to the toilet (about 16"), the second side to a 1 1/2" reducer which leads to the tub (about 24") and the third side ties directly into the main (vertical) 3" stack. Is...

The right direction... [ 4 Answers ]

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and support through my vunerability. I kept my doors open and I am finally starting to cross through to the other side. Pete and I seem to be getting even closer. I had not seen him for a couple of days last week and we went out with friends on...

Shower vent in slab [ 5 Answers ]

My basement was roughed in for a bathroom when they poured the slab, the shower drain is a 1-1/2 pipe coming out of the floor in concrete block imbedded in the concrete with gravel in it... my question is that about 20" away from this is another pip coming out of the floor, Im assuming this is the...

View more questions Search