Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake_AK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 12:32 AM
    I need my dog to gain weight
    My dog Jake is almost a year old and I live in Alaska and he has no fat he is inside most of the time and is a sweet dog he is husky collie mix and he just looks to skinny how do I help him gain weight safely?:confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171
    Pick out the parts that apply to your dog and post back.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 09:09 AM
    First you need to use the link in the sticky to decide if he really is too thin or only as compared to overweight dogs. At less than a year old, his joints still need time to develop without the strain of excess weight. It would be good to have the vet confirm your judgment. I would not argue if you suggest he needs to carry a little extra weight into the Alaskan winter. After, I am letting my 14 year old Lab go into the winter a few pounds heavier than she should be.

If he needs to gain weight, would he eat more if you gave it to him? If so, go ahead.

If he refuses to eat more, try a more concentrated chow. The first step would be a common brand of a meat based chow if you aren't already feeding one. From there, there are the working dog chows. Perhaps cheaper and easier to find are the highly concentrated small breed puppy chows. Whatever you decide to do, I would stick to dog chows. It is very difficult to make sure the dog is getting the complete diet it needs feeding a bunch of miscellaneous junk. Keep in mind the last 2 paragraphs of the sticky about the health hazards for overweight dogs, especially for young ones. My usually advice for large breed puppies is to switch to an adult chow at 4 months and keep the dog lean. Don't over do fattening him up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Can I Gain Weight [ 2 Answers ]

How can I gain 10- 20 pounds within the next 2 weeks can someone help me are there any pills or anything I can do to gain weight

Why can't I gain weight? [ 19 Answers ]

I'm 25 5'2 and 95 pounds and I want to gain weight so bad, but it feels like such a struggle to do so. When I eat a little I am 95, when I eat normal it's 95, when I eat a lot it's still 95! I've been skinny my whole life and even though I'm confident, I hate my body sometimes and isn't because I...

I want to gain weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi friends I'm 19 years old, 110lbs and 168 cms I'm very thin I want to gain weight and look good So hlp me in this Waiting for your reply

I need to gain some weight! [ 6 Answers ]

I am way to skinny. Im 19 and I still only way 100 pounds!! Its get me frustrated when I see other girls who acutally have butts and curves... I don't no what to do anymore I eat so much but it just doesn't help.. I really need help because this is creating no self of steem and I don't even want...

Weight gain [ 2 Answers ]

I am 22, height 155cm.50kg. I want to have expanded bones and more weight so that I will be looking like the person of correct age. Now I am looking like 15year boy. This makes me depression. Kindly give the suggestions and advice.

View more questions Search