Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    webbdog Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 08:07 PM
    IPOD - sound in one ear only.
    My IPOD (classic) plays in only one channel when I plug in the headphones. If I squeeze the top of the IPOD near the input for the headphones, I get sound in both ears, however, if I let it go, sound is in one ear only. Tried various headphones with the same result. Any possible solutions or will I have to get a new one?
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jan 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
    If the signal is only coming through the left side, I'd go to radio shack and get an 1/8" male mono to 1/8" stereo female adapter and that'll split the single signal into both earphones. It'll be mono, but at least its playing through both earphones. Much cheaper than buying a new iPod. If the signal is right side, you will need more adapters or something. Let me know which side it is, and we'll see what we can do.

Jan 8, 2008, 07:23 PM
    The sound comes only on the left side as you said.
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jan 8, 2008, 07:55 PM
    That should work for you then. Again, stereo image will be lost because you'll be listening to the left feed through both ears, but at least it'll sound proper rather than one ear only. And it'll be cheaper too. If for some reason this doesn't work, let me know.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
    I'm sure you tried a different headset, verify that problem is Ipod and the not headset.
    Could be cracked board, cold solder connection, corrosion?

Jan 10, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Yes I tried a few different sets. I thought for sure it was the headphones and not the IPOD. I wish it was the headphones although they are Bose and cost almost half of what the IPOD cost.
    buddydog112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 01:23 PM
    I just got the same io my iPod touch but the sound came back?
    Sergei Walankov Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Apples 3.5mm jack sockets are notoriously bad, from iPods to iPhone 3/ 3GS... they all suffer problems, normally with contacts getting dirty and not making proper contact with headphone jacks.
    This one's worth a go... lightly spray WD40 or another thin oil onto the jack, and pump it in and out of the socket repeatedly... re-spray, and do it again. This obviously won't resolve a dry joint as mentioned above, but will often do the trick in curing crackly playback, or no speaker sound, but headphone OK, or vice-versa. The other answer is to crack open the player and replace the headphone jack. There are numerous tuition videos on Youtube, and parts are available for pennies on eBay.
    Kwilliams55 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2013, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Walankov View Post
    Apples 3.5mm jack sockets are notoriously bad, from iPods to iPhone 3/ 3GS...they all suffer problems, normally with contacts getting dirty and not making proper contact with headphone jacks.
    This one's worth a go...lightly spray WD40 or another thin oil onto the jack, and pump it in and out of the socket repeatedly...re-spray, and do it again. This obviously won't resolve a dry joint as mentioned above, but will often do the trick in curing crackly playback, or no speaker sound, but headphone ok, or vice-versa. The other answer is to crack open the player and replace the headphone jack. There are numerous tuition videos on Youtube, and parts are available for pennies on eBay.
    Definitely give this a try, I was able to fix an old iPod of mine by cleaning out the jack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound while watching television.sound when playing video games [ 4 Answers ]

I have no Idea what the problem could be, but if I try to watch television, which is cable, I cannot hear the sound on the television, but If I play video games, then you can hear the sound perfectly... So, it cannot be a problem with the speakers inside the television.. Could it be the cable? What...

Ipod only plays sound from one side of earphones [ 17 Answers ]

Sound only comes out of one earphone when being used with the iPod. I've tried several different earphones with the iPod and they all do the same thing. When the earphones are used with everything else, the sound comes out of both sides. What could be the problem with the iPod? Is there a...

Video and sound on my iPod video [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I got an iPod nano for Christmas and I can put videos on it but there is no sound to the videos. Got any anwers?

Missing sound, can't hear cd or sound play at all? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a Compaq, win xp, this afternoon and I had sound and everything was OK? But I think while working on the computer I accidentally erased the driver that helps allow sound to come from the comp, I can't seem to find site to download the driver? Please help, I can hear it beep...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

View more questions Search