Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EARLY Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 06:52 PM

To RiverRat1 -- I have sent a picture to your E-mail address - wonder if it got through. /s/ Early
    gust Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Early, I did not receive your picture, perhaps River Rat did and she can send it on to me.
    Thank you for sending it. River Rat and I were really disappointed last weekend when our trip to the island didn't happen because of an emergency. But the island has been there all these years, I am sure it will be there in the spring.

Oct 10, 2008, 05:48 AM

My picture was sent to RiverRat1's E-mail address. I don't have yours so can't send it to you - I would if I could. EARLY

Oct 10, 2008, 06:03 AM

Early
    I forget how to give you my e-mail address or find yours. River Rat has told me several times and I can't remember
    GUST

Oct 10, 2008, 06:34 AM
    To GUST -- from Early -- I've never done it but here is a message from RR1 "----- by right clicking your mouse under the person's name. From there you choose 'send a private message' ". EARLY

Oct 10, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EARLY View Post
    To GUST -- from Early -- I've never done it but here is a message from RR1 "----- by right clicking your mouse under the person's name. From there you choose 'send a private message' ". EARLY
    I just send you my e-mail, I think, let me know if you get it
    gust

Oct 10, 2008, 06:56 AM

I just send you my e-mail address, I think, let me know if you get it

Oct 10, 2008, 02:37 PM
    To GUST from EARLY -- 5:30 pm and no e-mail. Let's work through RR! Since I haven't been able to right click a name either.

Oct 13, 2008, 06:23 PM
    To RiverRat1 --from EARLY It just occurred to me that you may be interested in a bit of information, not related to Girty's Island but to the Maumee river. I've told you about my great-grandfather working on the Miami Erie Canal; he, Adam, owned a farm between Okolona and Florida and having the farm but no wife, he was on the lookout for a young woman. Someone told him of an indentured servant, Katherine, on the south side of the river who might meet his requirements. There was no bridge over the river so he rowed a boat across and walked to the farmer's house, met the young lady and after some period spent courting her, rowing - rowing - rowing - (I don't know how long), proposed and was accepted. There was a problem of indenturing - solved by paying the farmer $25.00 for her freedom. My aunts told me they used to brag to fellow school students that their grandfather paid $25.00 for their grandmother - just think; all of $25.00. This took place, I think, in about 1840 - 1845. He was from Alsace - Lorraine and she from Bavaria and they lived - as far as I know - happily ever-after. I do know that my grandmother, Adam and Katherine's daughter-in-law (whose picture you have) was never a favorite of Katherine's because she couldn't speak German. History is full of big and little stories.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Very interesting family story! I'm curious about the last name of that family that you mentioned. Some of my ancestors are from that area (near Florida... ) from the very early days.

Oct 17, 2008, 08:49 AM

To oneguyinohio from EARLY -- My mother's family names are Lewis (mother) and Yorges (father); one of my mother's sisters married a Shultz and her father's sister a Scofield and another one a Peters. The name Yorges is corrupted into Jerges in the Flatrock (Florida, Ohio) cemetery - two brothers are buried under two different names. My father was from Napoleon. /s/EARLY
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 09:37 AM

Dirr and Schatz are two of the big names in my family tree. Fraker and Engle are also in there. Some of them are in the same cemetery you mention. Part of that family is from Pleasant Bend area in Henry county as well.

Oct 17, 2008, 11:41 AM
    TO oneguyinohio from EARLY

Oct 17, 2008, 11:43 AM

To oneguyinohio from EARLY -- Don't know the names except for Dirr - a hardware store in Napoleon? Some retail establishment, as I recall it.
    mechanix Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 02:48 PM

I remember talking about gidys island when I was younger (70s) I lived in napoleon back
    Then I suppose some of those friends sense I'm 50 now will run across this post okay how many of you have heard of ( silly) witchey poos bridge ? In the area feel free to email me
    At [email protected] my last names payne
    Ps there is anouther sliver of an island up on the east end of napoleon what is it know by?

Dec 21, 2008, 02:41 PM

From EARLY -- Downstream from Napoleon - perhaps just downstream from the present hospital - is or was an island known in the 1910 to 1915 era, as Peach Island because of the peach trees on it. My father told of swimming out there with a straw hat to hold the peaches on the way back. As a side line, he also told of a sulfur water spring near the old tile factory in the North end of town, that was so strong of sulfur that the boys challenged each other to drink of it. EARLY
    King Riffle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
    I was raided on the river and learned all about the area between Girty's island and Independence Dam by an old man named Buck Waisner. If anybody has any questions about the old stone quarry, the big eddy, or any of that let me know.
    King Riffle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Ha, meant to say "raised"

Dec 25, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas ! We had a wonderful day and hope everyone else did also.

To reply to King Riffle, I am interested in history you have to share ! My family own Gerty's Island from 1898 until the mid 20's. I have many questions,so perhaps you can give us a brief overview of the history you know.

We are currently working on paperwork to have our great-grandfather (Fredrick H Voigt) listed as one of the first families of Henry County, Ohio. Have you ever heard of him or anybody else out there that can help us ?

Again have a wonderful Holiday !
    Gust and the rest of the Voigt's

Dec 27, 2008, 10:40 AM

To King Riffle from Early -- Buck Waisner had brothers, one of whom was "Penny" Waisner whose son was a playmate of mine in the 1930s.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Depth of the Fraser River [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am a Vancouver, BC resident. Does anyone know the depth of the Fraser River? How deep the deepest spots are and where? Just started living close to it and was just wondering. Thanks

Is river water OK for dogs? [ 2 Answers ]

I rescued a black lab about 7 months ago. She loves the water! I'm taking her on her 1st camping trip up in the mountains this weekend. I always stay on the river. I'm bringing plenty of drinking water for her, but I know she'll prefer to drink out of the river. It's very clean and pristine up...

River otters [ 1 Answers ]

For my 9 year old who is writing a paper for school, do river otters hibernate? How do they survive winters?

Parana river [ 1 Answers ]

How much water does the river parana contain

Nile River [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how fast the Nile River flows? :confused:

View more questions Search