Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    King Riffle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 10:25 PM

I didn't know Penny, but I know Buck's kids: Toady, Red, Tom, Gene, and Rosy and most of the grandkids. Buck's dad was killed by a load of logs chained to a wagon that came loose and rolled on him. Buck and his wife Helen died of natural causes within days of each other around 1980. Not sure how old they were. 85-90 I'd guess. They lived at home until almost the end. I remember having to watch out for him driving on the wrong side of the road while he was trying to look at the corn and bean fields.
    RiverRatII Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by King Riffle View Post
    I was raided on the river and learned all about the area between Girty's island and Independence Dam by an old man named Buck Waisner. If anybody has any questions about the old stone quarry, the big eddy, or any of that let me know.

Hello King Riffle, I am the person who started this discussion on Girty's Island a year ago (RiverRat1 now RiverRatII since e-mail address was changed). What is the "big eddy?" Where is this stone quarry? If you have any knowledge of Girty's Island, please let me know. Even if it is the smallest of details, it could make a big difference in my research. Welcome to the group!

Jan 28, 2009, 06:13 PM

Does anyone out there have any information from the time Early's family lived on Girty's Island until the time the state of Ohio bought it? I am missing all this information in my research. Any information would help. :)
    EARLY Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 12:31 PM
    To River Rat from Earlye -- Check Oct 1, 2008 -- KittyKat -- Some info there about G/I in the 1970s.
    Hurs3922 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatII View Post
    Does anyone out there have any information from the time Early's family lived on Girty's Island until the time the state of Ohio bought it?? I am missing all this information in my research. Any information would help. :)
    Hey I tried to figure out how to send a personal message but for some reason it won't let me. But I had a few questions for you if you would want to email me at [email protected]
    gust Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatII View Post
    Does anyone out there have any information from the time Early's family lived on Girty's Island until the time the state of Ohio bought it?? I am missing all this information in my research. Any information would help. :)
    I have been trying and trying to get you through your personal e-mail and your home phone no luck please send me your correct info to my personal e-mail

As to what happen between Early's family and when the state took over. I will have to ask Papa, but I do know that he went out there several times with is best friend and state rep. Larry Manahan.
    The buildings were still standing when the state took over buy shortly there after they tore them down. Papa was really upset. I will have to check with him on the dates , etc.

We have a new grandson, our first grandchild and the first grandchild and great-grandchild.
    So that's what is pretty much taking out time up. I have four sisters who think they are grandparents also!! But we are having a blast, it is so neat to be able to share the baby and the joy of him. My the way his name is Wesley PAUL. We are keeping that PAUL name going!! Wesley Paul would be great, great, great grand son to Fred and Mary Voigt.

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Gust
    kittycatcarlyle Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 07:16 PM

Hi! I wrote a long time ago about the years I lived with my family on Girty's Island during the 1970's & early 1980's. My grandpa lived in the cottage & we tented in the woods.

Someone wanted me to go there with them so I could point out what I remember.

I'll be in the area during the first week of October 2009. If you're available then, my husband & I could make the time for a tour. Just let me know!
    kittycatcarlyle Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 09:35 AM

Just wanted to check one more time to see if I needed to bring photos with me or plan to take someone on a tour of Girty's Island while I'm visiting Ohio this weekend. I arrive Friday & will be in the area for one week.

Please let me know ASAP if still interested in meeting me. I will not visit the area again for quite some time.
    gust Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2009, 10:39 AM

I would love to go to the island, how will we get there. We do not have a boat. I would love to talk to you and look at any pictures you have. I don't know if you remember my great grandparents Fred & Mary Voigt had a fun time park on the island at the turn of the century. And my grandpa gust voigt build the cottage that I believe you stayed in.
    Jake435 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 01:15 PM
    I am sorry to inform you,that trading post was James Girty, not Simon or George. James Girty had trading post at at Defiance, St Marys and Girty's Point on the Maumee on the northside of the island. When Wayne,s troops came to the area, James Girty moved north with the indains. Simon Girty was in the area a lot, but as an empolyee of the English Indian Dept. THank you Jake Bennett
    Tmoyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 07:06 PM
    The following information is all documented fact please read -
    James Girty did have a trading post on the North side of the Maumee River between Napoleon, Ohio and Flordia, Ohio. I know for a fact a British Cannon ball was found on the Northside of the river with the british crown still stamped into it. Most information on Simon Girty using the island is common folklore. (Ghost stories and such)
    The real facts are also as follows -
    On August 19, 1899 Fredrick Voight and his brother Henry Voight bought Girty's Island. They build a ferry with two cables to pull themselves across to the island. That was the only way to enter the island unless using a row boat. Voight turned the island into a summer resort. The family built three cottages to rent. Fredrick's son Gustav built a stone cabin and built a stone fire place inside. The center stone on the fire place read "Madeline Island Queen" (that stone is on exhibit today in the Henry County Historical Society's collection in Napoleon, Ohio) The remains of the cabin are on the edge of the island and are washing out into the river. (I have been there and saw it) Later a food stand was built where they served soft drinks, ham sandwiches, baked beans, and coffee. Ice cream was served every Saturday in two five gallon freezers. In the main family house they served chicken dinners. There was an ice house, shooting gallery, bowling alley, a racetrack, grandstand, ball dimond, where they held a game every Sunday. The grove had large swings from the trees. A pavilion and dance floor were built near the center of the island (today the pillars from the dance hall still stand in the center of the island.) There was a bathing beach on the west end, and a ride called shoot the chutes. (Shoot the chutes was where passengers would ride down into the water off a steep slide in wooden boats, the ride closed when someone almost drowned!! ) There were bath houses, where you could rent swim suits. A merry go round with lanters. The old parking lot for horses was where cole cemetery is on the south side of the river. The largest crowd on the island was July 4th 1918 with over 1,000 people. There is a lot of information but not all I know if you want more let me know! The final days of the island where floods which took our a few buildings every winter. The island was sold in 1925 to Epstein Bros. and then sold to Blanchard Amusement Co. over the years it lost it luster and by the 1920's it was used as a Jewish summer retreat. During that time all that remained was the main house the three cabins a few walking trails and that was it. After the Jewish camp left the glory days of Girty's island passed into the history books.

Aug 3, 2010, 09:01 AM

Tmoyer,

Was there a windmill on the island? Where the bath houses were. Were the cabins on the north side of the island or the south side?
    Tmoyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 07:13 PM

I have never seen a windmill on the island. However that does not mean that one did not exist on the island. Why do you ask?

The original stone cabin ruins can be found on the south side of the river towards Napoleon, Ohio just off the bank by about 4 - 5 feet. The brick sidewalk now runs from the front door only about 4 - 5 foot before dropping off the side of the river bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Depth of the Fraser River [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am a Vancouver, BC resident. Does anyone know the depth of the Fraser River? How deep the deepest spots are and where? Just started living close to it and was just wondering. Thanks

Is river water OK for dogs? [ 2 Answers ]

I rescued a black lab about 7 months ago. She loves the water! I'm taking her on her 1st camping trip up in the mountains this weekend. I always stay on the river. I'm bringing plenty of drinking water for her, but I know she'll prefer to drink out of the river. It's very clean and pristine up...

River otters [ 1 Answers ]

For my 9 year old who is writing a paper for school, do river otters hibernate? How do they survive winters?

Parana river [ 1 Answers ]

How much water does the river parana contain

Nile River [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how fast the Nile River flows? :confused:

View more questions Search