Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kflem Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Door jam out-of-plumb
    I moved into a newly built house less than a year ago and the door between the Master Bedroom and Master Bathroom will not close. When we moved in last year, the door would close; but the gap narrowed at the top of the jam from the hinge side of the jam to the knob side of the jam. Now the top of the door hits the top of the jam ~8" from the knob side of the jam. The vertical sides of the jam are level, but the top and bottom have a bubble whose leading edge is slightly outside the marks. Two possible contributing factors are that the house is suspended over a crawl space and that there are no support, cinder block piers under the Master Bedroom (~16' span from outside wall to double cinder blocked piers supporting the other wall) and that just inside the bathroom door is a Jaccuzzi bath. The builder must have recognized the additional weight of the bath and placed a single cinder block pier in the crawl space very near the bath. The underside of the floor joist adjacent to the pier (and possibly directly under the door frame) has the same/similar bubble location as the top/bottom of the door jam. With the cooler weather we have used bath more and this also seems to possibly have contributed to the door not closing. I have my opinions as to how to fix the problem, but I'd like another perspective.

QUESTION: With the limited information given above, what should I/builder do to rectify the problem and not just shave a portion off the door to resolve one of the symptoms?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Is the builder still willing to warranty your home at this point? If so just tell him to make the necessary repairs, it isn't you job to figure out a fix for his error. If not in warranty try getting a bottle jack and some shoring under that joist. Jack it up a small amount to see if you can get rid of the bow, then shim between the cinder blocks and the joist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumb Basement Sink Directly Into Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a slop sink in my basement. I can place it right next to the vertical main stack, and can connect the sink drain directly to it above the point where it enters the slab. I would also vent the drain line. Would this be allowed (in general) by most codes? Would a check valve...

In my arms by plumb [ 7 Answers ]

I heard this song in my arms and I know who sings it but I know that they mixed it. I heard the mixed version on XM and it was awesome. How do I find the remix?

Leak in basement plumb stack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small leak in one of the connectors in the main plumb stack in the basement. The water running down (slowly) seems to be clear. What do I do? How can I find out where it is coming from. There is no odor. Thanks Conny

Need to plumb bathroom in concrete slab [ 7 Answers ]

We are having a pole garage built in Washington state and we need to put sewer pipes in the ground before they pour the concrete slab. We want a bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) and on the other side of the wall a utility sink. What size pipe should we use? We are open to layout of...

New Aqua Plumb faucet (low pressure) [ 3 Answers ]

I have read a lot of the postings and think I know why my new faucet has very low pressure now. I installed the entire new kitchen sink/cabinet this past weekend. It worked fine until yesterday. When I first turn on the hot or cold, it has very little pressure. When I turn the sprayer on and then...

View more questions Search