Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naim_naimi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 02:31 AM
    What is the difference between Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting ?
    Hello Dears,
    I want to know about the difference between Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting.
    Thanks !
    Sincerely Yours,
    Mohammad Naim
    tlarocca Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Cost accounting is the process of tracking, recording and analyzing costs associated with a company’s product or project. Cost accounting information primarily used for internal managers, rather than external auditors. Costs are measured in terms of Direct Costs, Indirect Costs and Overhead/Absorbed Costs. Managers use cost accounting to support decision making to reduce a company's costs and improve its profitability.

Management accounting is concerned with the provisions and use of accounting and other information to managers within organizations, to provide them with the basis in making informed business decisions that would allow them to be better equipped in their management and control functions. Unlike financial accountancy information (which, for public companies, is public information), management accounting information is used within an organization (typically for decision-making) and is usually confidential and its access available only to a select few.

Cost Accounting actually operates within Management Accounting. Management Accounting evolved from cost Accounting as businesses became more complex and diversified, Thus, more comprehensive data was needed in order to help management make decisions, rather than the typical Product Costing reports. Management Accountants are also involved in other accounting related functions such as Long Term Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting. Again, cost accounting data is used to as part of the process, however, other analyses are also part of the Management Accountant’s role.
    humairuddn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 03:46 AM
    Cost Accounting : - It is the technique or system used for determining the cost of project, process, or thing used by the legal entities in society, or prescribed by Authoritative accounting group.

Management Accounting : - Generating information by Managers for internal users For planning, controlling, and Decision making.
    gul gee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 12:06 AM
    Cost accounting is just analysis of financial accounting data for fixation total cost and price of product and control on cost
    Management accounting is analysis of financial and cost accounting for management of business or different plans and policies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Managerial accounting [ 1 Answers ]

How do I explain it when my inventory has reduce, my sale is up and my income is down.

Managerial accounting [ 5 Answers ]

]production & purchase budgets Actual: May 5900 units June 6200 Forecast: July 6000 August 6800 Sept 5600

View more questions Search