Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Dec 29, 2005, 10:29 PM
    Cold Water Pressure
    I have no cold water pressure in my bathtub faucet. I live in an older house which seems to have been built by a couple of guys in their spare time. I don't know anything about plumbing. I read some posts water pressure but was pretty confused. Is there some kind of cartridge I have to clean? And if so, how do I do that? Please help... I have burnt my arm once already!:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 30, 2005, 09:28 AM
    What kind of pipes do you have? Galvanized or copper? What's the brand name of your valve? How old? One handle or two knobs? Happen all at once or come on slowly? Get back to me, Tom

Jan 1, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Hi... I tried to find out the answers to all your questions. Here's what I came up with... we have copper pipes, there are two knobs for hot and cold. The cold water comes on normally but reaches a point where if you keep turning the knob less cold water pours out. I can't figure out the brand name but the faucet is about fifteen or twenty years old. I hope that helps!
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 2, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Hi Miz Pen,

Most stem and washer faucets are set up the same. The brand name is usually found on the face plate. It sounds like you might have something in the cold supply that moves up the supply to the seat and blocks it when you increase the flow. Let me know if you're comfortable opening up the faucet and flushing out the supply line? Cheers, Tom

Jan 2, 2006, 11:18 AM
    I'd certainly give it a try if you wanted to give me some instructions! Thanks,

Miz Pen :D
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 2, 2006, 01:09 PM
    OK! Here we go. You might want to, print out the instructions and exploded drawing. Your valve might not be exactly like the one pictured but they're all built pretty much the same.

Shut off the water to the valve and remove the right hand cold water knob and cover plate. This will bring you to the brass bonnet packing nut. Unscrew the bottom nut and put the knob back on the stem and turn the stem and washer assembly out counterclockwise. You now have a open valve.
    Check the washer and replace if it's worn or tore up. Now turn on the water for a minute to flush out the cold water supply line. You should be getting a full stream out of the open valve. If not then get back to me. Reassemble everything and test out. Better now? Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No pressure to cold water in bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I had a Moen Faucet connected in my wife's tub about a year ago. It's been working great but the last three weeks or so It seems the cold water pressure is dropping dramatically. Hot water runs fine. This is the only faucet in the house that has this problem. I've already cleaned the aerator...

Low water pressure in bathtub/shower hot or cold [ 7 Answers ]

My shower/bathtub has no water pressure. It does not matter if you turn the cold or the hot water on. The rest of the house is not having any problems with water pressure just this particular bathtub/shower. I tried removing the water spout to see if anything was stopping it up, but it won't...

Cold water pressure in shower and washer only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, As the subject says, I have a huge loss of cold water pressure in my upstairs shower and my downstairs washing machine only. The upstairs and downstairs sinks are all fine (including the sink directly next to the shower in the upstairs bathroom). Taking the shower head off doesn't make a...

Hot & Cold Water Pressure An Issue [ 3 Answers ]

We recently bought a house. Our water pressure is terrible and the hot water is even worse. :( (Basically dribbles out.) Are the two problems correctable by adjusting the "cut-in, cut-out" pressure? The well is about 50 feet from the house. Pressure tank inside the house in the basement which is...

No cold water pressure in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved in a month ago and from the beginning and the water pressure on the cold water side in the kitchen faucet is very low. The hot water is normal and all the other faucets seem to have normal pressure. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search