Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynn17976 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Adoption of a friends baby
    I have a friend who is pregnant. She can't take care of the baby and she wants me to take her. I want to but we are not sure about the laws and how to go about it. Neither one of us has a lot of money and we don't know what to do. We live in pa.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 04:01 PM
    As long as the mother and the father of the child will sign over their rights,
    It will take an attorney and filing for the adoption in court.a
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 31, 2007, 04:01 PM
    You and her (and probably the baby too) need an attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2007, 04:29 PM
    You MAY be able to do this without an attorney. Check with your local Family court. However, I would highly advise that you get an attorney. You will need to make sure none of the baby's biological family can make a claim on the baby now or at some future date.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 04:43 PM
    I would highly advise you think about this seriously. She is your friend, if you do go through with the adoption she may still feel that she has a say so in the upbringing of the child. While I am all for open adoptions, these things can ruin a friendship.

You see, if you adopt the baby, your friend may not be happy with the way you raise the child, or discipline the child.

If you don't have a lot of money, not enough to hire an adoption attorney, will you have enough money, and health insurance, to raise a baby appropriately.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
    I would never do this, for the reasons J has stated. Your friend has an open door to you and even if this adoption does go through, it can be a messy deal. The baby will have two "mom's" right there and what guarantee do you have that the birth mom will not come back at you and want that child back?
    Michelle Miller Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Jan 1, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Hi,

Sorry about what your friend is going through. I just wanted to let you know I left you a private message. Just in case you haven't seen it. I hope to hear from you.

Love,
    Michelle
    wayne0418 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Jan 1, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I wish you the best of luck in this.
    Michelle Miller Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Jan 1, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Okay,

My husband an I were suppose to adopt a baby at the end of October. The birth mom changed her mind. So we went through the whole private adoption thing up to the day the baby was suppose to be in our hands. So I can tell you what you need to do. I can also give you an idea about the costs. You have to have an adoption attorney. If the birth mother lives in another state you will have to get her an adoption lawyer to. If the two of you live in the same state you might be able to get away with one attorney. I am not really sure. You would have to ask your lawyer about that. Anyone who adopts with in the United States has to have a home study done. This is where they check out your home and decide if they think it is appropriate. They do a back ground criminal check. You have to be checked out by the doctor and make sure you are healthy. They even performed an aids test and checked to see if I have arthritis. You have to have updated shot records on any animals you have. If you have children you will have to get a paper filled out stating they are healthy and well taken care of and that they are up to date on shots. You will have to have at least 3 letters of recommendations from friends stating that they think you would make a good mother. The people that do the recommendations can not be related to you. They will also want to know how much money you make. You will have to provide them with a copy of all last years tax records. If you are married your husband will have to have a criminal background check and a doctors check to. I am not trying to scare you. You wanted to know what it entails so I thought I would tell you so you are not surprised. This part of the adoption process is very tedious. It is the hardest part. Homestudies usually cost between 1,200 and 1,50O. I live in Georgia and our adoption lawyer told us that she was going to charge us 6,000 dollars for the adoption. We had to give her 1,500 up front to retain her as our lawyer. We were also going to ow a lawyer in another state but, we didn't know how much yet I do believe he said 2,000 to 3,000. Where I live I would have to say a private adoption would probably run close to 10,000 dollars. I have a friend that lives in New York that is trying to adopt. She said the lawyer prices there are really high. I think GA's legal fees are on the low side. The only way to know for you how much it will cost exactly is to call an adoption lawyer and ask what the total price of adoption would be in your state. Also let her know whether the bm lives in your state or not. That might help some.

I agree with you're the girls above. You should really think it through this is one of those things that has the potential to tear apart a friendship. My aunt adopted my uncles little girl when she was a baby. They had a falling out and have not spoke for almost 30 years. I wish you two the best of luck.

Love,
    MIchelle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to give up my baby for adoption [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have 2 kids.im pragnet with our third but we can't afford to raise another baby.so what do we have to do to give it up.

My boyfriend wants me to put my baby up for adoption [ 37 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and about to have a baby,but my boyfriend wants me to put the baby up for adoption but I don't know if I should. I personally don't think it's a good idea and I really don't want to,but he keeps telling me I have to. I understand that he's not ready for a baby and nither am I...

My sons girlfriends parents want her to give baby up for adoption [ 28 Answers ]

My son is 17 years old. His girlfriend is 15. Her parents want her to give the baby up for adoption when it is born. We want to raise the baby. Can anyone tell us what our his legal rights are? Her parents will not return our phone calls and she is 4 months pregnant and they haven't taken her to a...

Parents right to force minor to give baby for adoption [ 59 Answers ]

My 14 year old doughter is pregnant and wants to keep baby. Me and my wife are 110% against this, do we have the right to force her to give this baby up for adaoption or does she being a minor have the right to keep this baby.

Can My Mother Make Me Give My Baby Up For Adoption? [ 27 Answers ]

Hi I am a 14 year old girl. I am think about getting pregnant to stay with my boyfriend when he goes to jail.. but that's not the reason I want to get pregnant, that's only 5% of it. I want to get pregnant because I love babies I want to be a mother I am pretty much on my own all of the time my...

View more questions Search